Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,207   Posts: 1,531,891   Online: 1076

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I make ABC pyro, PMK, and Paul Farber's Acufine-ish speed developer for film as well as a few others occasionally, like RAF Pyro-Metol or paRodinal or fx6a monobath. For prints I make Ansco 130 and both versions of Michael A. Smith's amidol.

I make these developers mainly because I like the visual effects they produce, though other factors like convenience and film speed may also enter into consideration.

I like to mix developers from bulk chemicals, so that I don't have to worry about them becoming discontinued, and I can mix them fresh in any quantity that is convenient without being tied into manufacturers' packaging decisions.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for all the replies so far. I found this product to be an interesting alternative to the popular Kodak D-76 and Ilford ID-11 developers. It appears to be the D-76d buffered-borax version which can also be mixed from scratch.

http://www.fomafoto.com/components/c...6589ca6af8.jpg

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i mix my own ansco 130 ( it lasts forever or so it seems )
    caffenol C ( because it is cheap and fun )
    and i mix caf130 which is caffenol C with some ansco 130 mixed into it
    i pretty much don't use any other print or film developers ...

i have raw chemicals to mix mortenson's glycin varient, and d23
    but i haven't made / used them yet ...
    im empty, good luck

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    and i mix caf130 which is caffenol C with some ansco 130 mixed into it
    i pretty much don't use any other print or film developers ...
    I tried that with Caffenol C and D-76 1:3 at a 50/50 mixture and it turned out pretty good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    D76, ID68, ID78 and parodinal - in descending order of frequency
    Norman is an island.Time and tide wait for Norman.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tapscott. View Post
    Thanks for all the replies so far. I found this product to be an interesting alternative to the popular Kodak D-76 and Ilford ID-11 developers. It appears to be the D-76d buffered-borax version which can also be mixed from scratch.

http://www.fomafoto.com/components/c...6589ca6af8.jpg
    Foma FV3 is D76/ID-11, but the commercial versions have changed slightly. In a Patent Ilford show a referance developer which appears to be ID-11 but with double the Borax.

It's thought that commercial D76 is probably D76d, Ilford used similar buffering in their Commercial PQ variant of D76.

Iantypo
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 07-29-2009 at 12:14 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    For film, Germain Finegrain, D76, Pyrocat MC and FX37. For paper, Ansco 130. A number of bleaching formulas and toning formulas..Evan Clarke

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Modified D23 (adding EDTA and Glycin) for use with Borax
    Ansco 130
    PMK
    Film strength Fixer
    Paper strength fixer
    Just standard stuff, really
    Logan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For film, PMK, D23, Caffenol and Rodinal (paracetamol version) and for paper Ansco 130, Defender D77 (or is it D72?) and my own phenidone/ascorbic acid type.

Ash

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Foma FV3 is D76/ID-11, but the commercial versions have changed slightly. In a Patent Ilford show a referance developer which appears to be ID-11 but with double the Borax.

It's thought that commercial D76 is probably D76H, Ilford used similar buffering in their Commercial PQ variant of D76.

Ian
    Ian, I think you are confusing D-76H with D-76d. It is D-76d which is the buffered-borax formula. D-76H as devised by Grant Haist hence the `H` is the basic D-76/ID-11 formula with the hydroquinone omitted and the Metol raised to 2.5 grams per litre of stock.
    To me, D-76H isn`t a developer of the D-76 type, but a weak D-23 variant with a borate added to it. Think about the replenisher for D-23 (DK-25R) and you will see what I mean.
    I`m not sure about the commercial D-76 being D-76d despite what the MSDS says as I believe that the boric anhydride mentioned might be something to do with stabilising developers which have been compounded into single-powders as Kodak do.
    You will have to check out the patents for single-powder developers.
    The formulary in the BJP annuals show that the development times for D-76d need to be extended by anything up to around 25% compared to the standard D-76/ID-11 formula. D-76d is said to give higher base fog as well.
    For further reading about buffered-borax MQ and PQ developers, read `The British Journal Photographic Almanac 1957, pages 138-141 by A.J Axford and J.D Kendall of Ilford Ltd.
    You can see the development times for Fomadon-P (D-76d) on the Digital Truth site which I assume are the times that Foma recommend.
    I would be interested in finding the Ilford patent that you mentioned.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin