Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,240   Posts: 1,660,132   Online: 823

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rodinal (!!)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have used the Rodinal/XTol combination and like it a lot. I stumbled upon it in the work of Robert Vincent (_Honus_ on flickr & RFF), and he got it from an APUG thread.

One of the beautiful things about Rodinal, IMO, is that for a given concentration most films have the same development time. I've found this the case for 1:100, at least. At that dilution, TX400, TMY2, TMX, APX 100 and FP-4+ all do well @ 20 min/20C. (YMMV, test for individual circumstances, offer not valid in all countries, yadda, yadda.) This makes processing a whole backlog of film a lot easier.
    Honey, I promise no more searching eBay for cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Earl Dunbar View Post
    One of the beautiful things about Rodinal, IMO, is that for a given concentration most films have the same development time. I've found this the case for 1:100, at least. .
    I'd have to agree, but it's also pretty much the same with Pyrocat HD

Ian

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    for me also.
    my films and pyrocat HD are also the same time developed.
    fp4+ / adox chs 100 / fuji acros (all 4x5")

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Rodinal Is a...

...high acutance developer meaning is resolves fine tonalities well. I love the stuff but it's been years since I've done any wet process B&W work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ian & Willie: Good to know. I've been giving Pyrocat HD some thought recently, especially for LF work. It's just hard for me to balance more than a couple of developers. I'm so used to Rodinal, and I've been doing a bit of work with XTol on its own. Late this year I'll likely be getting some Harvey's 777 for a small tank line. Too many developers, too little time.
    Honey, I promise no more searching eBay for cameras.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I may start B&W developing and after knowing that 1l of D76/ID11 may develop just a few films, I'm more interested in rodinal. Seems like a 500ml bottle may be able to develop a good quantity of films; 30, 60?
    How good are it's keeping properties after opening the bottle? I've read about a year, and some say even decades!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Prest_400 View Post
    I may start B&W developing and after knowing that 1l of D76/ID11 may develop just a few films, I'm more interested in rodinal. Seems like a 500ml bottle may be able to develop a good quantity of films; 30, 60?
    How good are it's keeping properties after opening the bottle? I've read about a year, and some say even decades!
    Number of films depends on dilution. Typically 1:25, 1:50, or 1:100. Once opened it will last longer than you might ever imagine. There are tales of many decades, just strain out the chunky crystals that form.

At something like $16 a bottle it's a small investment.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Earl Dunbar View Post
    Ian & Willie: Good to know. I've been giving Pyrocat HD some thought recently, especially for LF work. It's just hard for me to balance more than a couple of developers. I'm so used to Rodinal, and I've been doing a bit of work with XTol on its own. Late this year I'll likely be getting some Harvey's 777 for a small tank line. Too many developers, too little time.
    Fomapan films are the only exception, I should have added that earlier, they require about 2/3rds the dev time of other films or end up very contrasty.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Go for it Prest. At 1+50 and assuming that 300ml of solution is all you need (at least for my Jobo tank) it will process 80+ films (6ml per 135 film). It doesn't cost much and it can be stored for a long time after it's opened. If you ever get bored, just put it at the shelf and you can use it again whenever you want. FYI, it cost me 14,5€ about a year and a half ago. Try it with APX100. Brilliant stuff.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin