Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,840   Posts: 1,582,572   Online: 961

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rodinal (!!)

Shooter
    Multi Format

Rodinal (!!)

After using D-76 exclusively for about a year and a half, I decided to try some Rodinal.

I have my Mamiya m645 1000s here that I've been meaning to use before my return period with KEH expires to be certain all is in order, and I decided to develop the Arista EDU Ultra 400 in Rodinal instead of D-76. I was nervous since this was my first time with the new camera AND a new developer, but I wanted to see what was up.

Those negatives are perhaps the most beautiful I've ever produced. I looked at them on my light table with an 8x loupe, and they are absolutely stunning. They're sharp, reasonably contrasty, and dense (perfect for an easy print session). Every other time I'd used EDU Ultra 400 I've gotten poor results, be it 35mm or 120.

I don't know if it's the Mamiya or the Rodinal, but those negatives are wonderful. I can't wait until this weekend so I can print them.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I want to try the rodinal as well. Show the pictures. I´m curious to see them
    Yan Boechat
    São Paulo - Brazil

Leica
    Canon
    Pentax

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Not only does it produce stunning results, but it is also one of the most economical developers to use.

Shooter
    35mm
    What are you rating the Arista EDU Ultra at? From my experience, it has a true speed of just about 200 in most developers.

Anyway, about Rodinal. It's good stuff, cheap and very versatile. Rodinal is surprisingly good at pushing when used correctly. If you ever get a chance, try stand developing TRI-X rated at 2400. Of course, slower films like Pan-F produce astounding resolution with Rodinal. Overall, it's a really nice developer to have around.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by yanboechat View Post
    I use rodinal almost exclusively. Only not good results with adox cms 20, all other films - ok.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's amazing stuff, and the keeping properties are incredible - I've still got a glass 1977 bottle of it that I occasionally check, and it's still going strong. Adding sodium sulphite to round off the graininess is one way of matching it to faster films, but what about this, a mix of Xtol & Rodinal from Sam Elkind?

Xtol = 100 mL
    Water = 400 mL
    Rodinal = 4 to 5 mL

http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/Rodinal/rodinal.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Martin, have you tried that mixture?

I've started to use Rodinal also just recently for certain things - I found that link when I was searching for info an wondered about it.
    I normally use Xtol. I was thinking to mix could either be the best of both worlds, or neither one thing nor the other..
    I know these things are very subjective, but interested to hear about what anyone thinks of it...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

J.W.Shaw - HYDROQUINONE p-AMINOPHENOL DEVELOPER

Not forgetting another Rodinal concoction

J.W.Shaw - HYDROQUINONE p-AMINOPHENOL DEVELOPER

Warm Toned Print developer. (Using Rodinal)

Solution A

Hydroquinone 16.7 g
    Sodium Sulphite 91 g
    Citric Acid 6.25 g
    Potassium Bromide 3.12 g
    Water to 1 litre

Solution B

Sodium Hydroxide 16.7 g
    Water to 1 litre

Solution C Potassium Bromide Solution 10% (!00 g/litre)

To Use:
    24 ml Soln A
    24 ml Soln B
    1 ml Rodinal (Agfa)
    12 ml Soln C
    100 ml Water

Originally formulated for lantern slides this developer works well with warm tone papers.

Ian

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Rodinal is beautiful, forgiving, and inexpensive. What's not to love?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by yanboechat View Post

It'll be a few days. I don't have a neg scanner so I'll have to print the negatives, and it isn't a small affair to set up everything.

Rodinal is awesome. Definitely try it. What developer do you use most often now?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin