Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,705   Posts: 1,548,479   Online: 837
      
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 26 of 26
  1. #21

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Utah, United States
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    Get a basic photo textbook. Seems like a logical place to start, no? They are dirt cheap everywhere as long you buy used and old. Try "Photography" by London and Upton, or Upton and Upton in some editions. You will learn from a textbook so much better than from piecing together hints, trick, and tips from the Internet...and then you get to read the whole rest of the book as well...and you get to stimulate your local economy (or the national one, if you get it on the Internet).

    This question is far too common. I wonder if the Internet has made people forget how to read a real book...or think that since they no longer have to, they no longer should.
    Try looking at your local library for these and other traditional photography books. The library where I work has loads of titles ranging from beginner (camera, darkroom, repair, etc.) to more advanced and alt process. Chances are... they won't be checked out. And by checking them out, you could possibly prevent them from getting "weeded" from lack of circulation

    Second-hand and Z-type stores often have copies for CHEAP. I have four or five different books on basic photography and paid no more than 20USD total.

    Plus, there's nothing quite like curling up on the couch with a fine beverage and a photography book

  2. #22

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Posts
    16,412
    Blog Entries
    2
    http://www.amazon.com/Black-White-Ph...9092482&sr=8-1
    is a great book, and it is sold on amazon used for .01¢ used

    the hardest part of processing roll film is getting the film
    onto the reel ...

    good luck!


    john

  3. #23

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Trinity, Alabama
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    243
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post

    the hardest part of processing roll film is getting the film
    onto the reel ...

    john

    I'm one semester away from finishing my photography degree, and I still sometimes have trouble loading the reel . I think it's a tie between loading the film on the reel and getting the developer at exactly 20 degrees. I still ocassionally drop a roll on the floor or try to put the film backwards in the plastic reel (when I get in a hurry and dont feel for the flat side ).

  4. #24
    Tony Egan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,136
    Images
    69
    I the below thread I explain my method of loading 35mm film with a few accompanying photos. Never had a problem since I perfected this approach. Maybe not for everybody but you may want to give it a try. I repeat, stay away from Paterson or other cheap tanks which use the tiny ball bearing thingy. Try to find a Jobo if you can.
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum43/3...rue-story.html

  5. #25
    wogster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Bruce Peninsula, ON, Canada
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    1,266
    Quote Originally Posted by mbsmith View Post
    Try looking at your local library for these and other traditional photography books. The library where I work has loads of titles ranging from beginner (camera, darkroom, repair, etc.) to more advanced and alt process. Chances are... they won't be checked out. And by checking them out, you could possibly prevent them from getting "weeded" from lack of circulation

    Second-hand and Z-type stores often have copies for CHEAP. I have four or five different books on basic photography and paid no more than 20USD total.

    Plus, there's nothing quite like curling up on the couch with a fine beverage and a photography book
    Wonderful thing with photography books, I have one title that was published in 1959, and another that is a 1960's update of a book that was originally written in the 1930's, these books apply just as well today as when originally written. Contrast that to the digital imaging books that have a life span of until the next model comes out. Although what I found interesting is that the techniques of getting image to film or sensor applies equally, so these old books still apply, just don't tell the digi crowd, or all our wonderful old books will get real expensive real fast.
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

    The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

  6. #26
    Sirius Glass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Southern California
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    13,158
    Quote Originally Posted by WGibsonPhotography View Post
    I'm one semester away from finishing my photography degree, and I still sometimes have trouble loading the reel . I think it's a tie between loading the film on the reel and getting the developer at exactly 20 degrees. I still ocassionally drop a roll on the floor or try to put the film backwards in the plastic reel (when I get in a hurry and dont feel for the flat side ).
    Change the film in a changing room bag [they are large] then if you drop the film or the reel they stay in the bag and only fall a few inches or centimeters.

    Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

    I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin