Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,688   Posts: 1,548,730   Online: 1240

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    XTOL.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thisispants View Post
    I'm organising to develop my first roll of film and I'm not sure which developer I should get. Ive downloaded the ilford pdf which explains the steps really clearly, but Im unsure which developer would suit my needs. I guess because I'm starting upm I'll need a very general but good developer.... liquid of powder? Is the Ilford Ilfotec HC any good for most situations? OR should I go the powder Ilford ID-11.....which is explained as the "standard pwder".

Any advice would be cool. thanks
    D76/Id-11 be the standard against which all film developers are compared. Use it until you know it.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Budding View Post
    XTOL.

With reference to wogster's post too, when I came back to darkroom work after many decades I choose Kodak XTOL undiluted because it produces the finest grain over most of the black & white films. I have used it for several Kodak and Fuji films both 35mm and 120. I have been very happy with the results and the graininess. As I posted previous I am planning to try Pyro Rollo and depending on the results make a choice.

So choose in developer, find the film you like the best and learn that real well. Only then shart making changes.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I used D-76, primarily, for years, with 35mm films; a great developer that can be used successfully with just about any film. Currently, after a long hiatus from developing, I'm using XTOL (1:1), and sometimes Rodinal (1:50) — both with very satisfying results, still with 35mm (mostly Tri-X and Neopan 400).

Note: XTOL developer stock and subsequent dilution is mixed with distilled water; same with Rodinal.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    ... it's far more important to just choose 1 developer and 1 film to begin with while you master basic techniques.

Ian
    This statement is important enough to be repeated every day.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Anscojohn View Post
    D76/Id-11 be the standard against which all film developers are compared. Use it until you know it.
    I'm trying for the 20 years! Getting closer... any minute now... any minute now.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Pyrocat-HD for 90% of my stuff with D-76 rounding it out. Every once in awhile I get kinky and use Rodinal LOL.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My standard developer is Ilfotec HC, and formerly Kodak HC-110, which is near identical.

Before that, I used D-76, and then ID-11.

Both are good. I like HC better because it is more convenient, more consistent, more contrasty, and I always get near 100% use out of the bottle.

I think I remember figuring out one time that at dilution B, it is actually not cheaper than D-76 1:1. This is assuming 100% usage of the D-76.

I will go through the math again to make sure.

HC-110, dilution B (1:31): $14.69 makes four U.S. gallons of working solution, or $0.92 per U.S. quart.

D-76, 1:1: $6.09 makes two U.S. gallons of working solution, or $0.76 per U.S. quart.

Ilfotec HC, 1:31: $38.99 makes 32 L of working solution, or $1.22 per liter.

ID-11, 1:1: $10.99 makes 10 L of working solution, or $1.10 per liter.

So, Kodak D-76 is the most economical developer, assuming 100% usage.

Additionally, if you use raw chemicals, you can easily make D-76 much cheaper, while the formula for HC is not published.

You can also use higher dilutions of any of these developers.

For some reason, Freestyle lists the 16 oz. HC-110 as making two gallons. This is a mistake due to lack of clarity. It does not do this unless you are using dilution A. It makes 1/2 gallon of stock solution. 1/2 gallon of stock solution mixed 1:7 into dilution B makes four gallons of working solution.

Here is what Freestyle has to say about HC-110 (same as Ilfotec HC):

"Fine grain, sharp working formula supplied as syrupy liquid concentrate. Good enough for Ansel Adams! Kodak HC-110 is a liquid-concentrate film developer introduced around 1965 and widely used ever since, particularly in photojournalism and fine-art photography.HC-110's selling points are ease of use, versatility, and reliability. The concentrate keeps for years; it's easy to mix up enough developer for one roll at a time; all types of black-and-white film can be developed with HC-110; and results are consistent. Compared to D-76, this chart indicates that HC-110 (dilution B) produces: Slightly less shadow detail or true film speed; Slightly finer grain; Slightly lower acutance. Where HC-110 really shines is in scientific work or push-processing, where film is deliberately overdeveloped to increase contrast and speed. HC-110 gives surprisingly little fog even with very prolonged development."

...and about D-76 (same as ID-11):

"For general use

Yields full emulsion speed and good shadow detail with normal contrast

Moderately fine grain, excellent development latitude

Replenish with KODAK PROFESSIONAL Replenisher D-76R

For normal or push processing

Powder"
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 07-31-2009 at 09:01 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    XTOL 1+1

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Blog Entries
    sprint film developer is what a lot of high schools and universities
    use. it is a metol free developer that is kind of like d76 ( but not exactly ).
    it is very forgiving, and a liquid that mixes 1 to 9 of water.
    sprint systems of photography is an apug sponsor, and you can order it
    directly from their website, if a photo store near you doesn't have it.

it was the first developer i used, and now, 30 years later, i use it for film
    i process for clients.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin