Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,693   Posts: 1,482,467   Online: 966

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Effective Film Speed with D76 Variants

I am about to do some BTZS testing to compare film speed of Pyro-Uno with D76. In The Film Developing Cookbook there are several variants of the D76 formula. Does anyone know if all of these variants give the same film speed, if used freshly mixed?

Sandy King

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No they vary, some by more than others, use straight D76/ID-11 as that's the Standard.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ian, have you found much difference between standard D76/ID-11 and D76H (more metol, no HQ)? I haven't seen much difference, myself.
    Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Michael,

You use XTOL as standard if I recall correctly?

Tom

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeSeb View Post
    Ian, have you found much difference between standard D76/ID-11 and D76H (more metol, no HQ)? I haven't seen much difference, myself.

I have tested those two versions and never found much difference in either energy or EFS.

Today I mixed up the D76R variant described in the FDC, p 43, and was very surprised to find that it very much more energetic than both standard D76 and D76H.

After seeing the results I looked at the formula and see that it used 20 grams of borax per liter, more than twice any of the other variants. Could this be a mistake? I ask because results are way off the wall from all other variants of D76 that I have tried.

I see Bill Troop has been here today. Perhaps he will respond.

I frankly don't understand why one would publish D-76 variants that are vastly different in terms of energy than the original formula.

Sandy King
    Last edited by sanking; 08-01-2009 at 07:53 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Images
    D-76R is replenisher for D-76. I remember from the good old days when Bob Schwalberg was playing with using D-76R straight as developer. It has the extra borax to deal with the reduction of pH due to production of HBr when film is developed.
    Gadget Gainer

Images
    Sandy, I didn't realize you are such a young squirt.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gainer View Post
    D-76R is replenisher for D-76. I remember from the good old days when Bob Schwalberg was playing with using D-76R straight as developer. It has the extra borax to deal with the reduction of pH due to production of HBr when film is developed.
    Yes, all that makes sense. But D-76R is merely listed as a variant of D-76 in the FDC, not as a replenisher.

Sandy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sandy;

I checked and D-76R is the replenisher. It is not clearly identified in A&T as the replenisher, but is listed in other publications, notably the Kodak publications as the replenisher. It would have much higher activity due to the higher levels of Metol and HQ not to mention the alkali.

So, the result you have is to be expected.

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Sandy;

I checked and D-76R is the replenisher. It is not clearly identified in A&T as the replenisher, but is listed in other publications, notably the Kodak publications as the replenisher. It would have much higher activity due to the higher levels of Metol and HQ not to mention the alkali.

So, the result you have is to be expected.

PE
    Hi Ron,

You are right.

Question for Bill Troop, why did you list this as a variant? I trusted your information, which in retrospect was a big mistake. Cost me a fair amount of time for no good reason except poor editing of that book.

Look at page 43 of the Film Developing Cookbook. D76R is listed as one of the variants of D76, nothing in that chart about replenishment.

Sandy King

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin