Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,546,032   Online: 965

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I average around 5 to 8 prints in a 4 hour session if everything goes well. That includes mixing chems, exposing, developing and toning. I need and extra hour for washing the prints afterwards.

I'm like Ian in that I do not do contact sheets. I read each neg seperately and dial in the contrast I think I need and make one test print. IF the film I am printing from is all souped the same and from similar subjects, then I know that my test print will give me my base expsoure more often than not. I can then extrapolate what extra, or less I need print exposure, or dodging and burning wise as I am setting the next neg up ready to print from. If luck goes my way and I can get the prints I am after quickly, I may sometimes expose 2 or 3 sheets right after another so that the 'print map' in my head stays there!) Then I process them in the trays together. It can speed up the proceedings slightly, and ensures everything is expsosed and processed identically. Once I am done, I write the print map with a pencil onto a post-it note and place all the exposure details, dodging, burning details onto that sheet, note the neg# and stick it on the outside of the print file for future reference. I store the prints (8x10) in a water bath up in the kitchen, and larger prints in the vertical 12x16 print washer. Once I have a batch of prints, I then start the toning process of a short and dilute bleach of each print, rinse , place in holding bath or washer and then lightly sepia tone, rinse, back in holding bath... Change holding bath once this is complete and add in Hypo clear. Take prints out one at a time and rinse then place into selenium toner. Once toned, rinse again, and place into Hypo clear holding bath. Repeat for all other prints. Then empty holding try and refill, and start main wash sequence for one hour....
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    0 to 10 of the same print. Depends on how things go....
    That's exactly what I was about to type. You definitely need an option for zero in your survey. I have made finished prints on the first sheet maybe twice. I have one image that I've spent probably ten 4 hour sessions on, over two years and much voodoo, and still not there yet.

I usually print between 4 and 12 hours. On average though, in an ~eight hour session, probably 4 good prints. This is a little deceptive though, because after making these prints, and living with them for a while; if they have any 'salt' I usually end up printing them again to resolve any issues, or refine them a little.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's very, very, very variable.

So variable that I have been trying to put a number by it, but it's meaningless: anywhere from struggling for days with on one negative to printing uncut 35mm rolls with a negatrans - shuffling a dozen sheets of paper through the developer at a time.

If it is the usual muck around in the darkroom for an evening then I may make 4 or so prints from a day's shooting - maybe one will be worth more work and the creation of a matted & framed print, though as often as not it is just the production of more 'what did I see in that?' prints that get added to a large pile of same.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I go through a dozen or more negs in four hours, with two or three keeper prints of each. That doesn't include the time needed to break down the darkroom, which goes up in our bathroom, but does include setup time. I print only on RC, which speeds things up. My new RH Designs timer helps a little bit too.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin