Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,924   Posts: 1,556,684   Online: 1162

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Once, in a pinch, I used a few drops from a plastic squeeze bottle of eyeglass cleaner. It worked. Dunno about any long term effects, though.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've never had good luck with the "couple of drops in the developing tank of water method". My current method which works very well, is to take a 1 gallon jug of distilled water, and add 1/200 of a gallon (18.9 ml) of photoflo to it then agitate it enough to mix it all up. Final step is to take a sharpy and write "photoflo" on the jug. Works good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    bdial:

When do you throw it out and re-mix? I've read photoflo never "exhausts"...I guess you make more when enough of it has been taken out of the bottle by the film?

I've never used Photo-Flo (except in school). I notice my negatives dry faster when I used it at school, but I don't have any problems with spotting when I do film at home. Should I use Photo-Flo, even though I don't have any spotting? What I mean is will it make the film more stable or more archival, or do you only need it if you have problems with spotting?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Years ago there were quick dry agents that were nothing more than denatured alcohol. I also used 90% isopropyl alcohol.

If you try this experiment with a film clip. film has changed in the past forty years.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    don, do you think vodka could be used for this ?
    i'm thinking popov ( read cheap rot gut ) might have an 11th use

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Guys;

Alcohol was used as a DRYING AGENT not a WETTING AGENT. These two are unrelated functions.

You treat with a wetting agent or surfactant to prevent water spots from minerals and contaminants in water. You use alcohol to promote rapid drying.

There is some overlap in function, but they are not identical.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Guys;

Alcohol was used as a DRYING AGENT not a WETTING AGENT. These two are unrelated functions.

You treat with a wetting agent or surfactant to prevent water spots from minerals and contaminants in water. You use alcohol to promote rapid drying.

There is some overlap in function, but they are not identical.

PE
    thanks PE

i guess it isn't another mysterious use afterall!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    After reading all of this I'd better get some real Photoflo. The 1st few rolls I've done since getting back into the darkroom smell lemony fresh because of the dish soap. :o

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Brofkand,
    Generally I use it one-shot, so I dump what I've used, that way there is no accumulation of any sort of contamination in the jug. Once the jug is empty it goes in the plastics recycle bin, and I start a new one.
    As you say, it helps the film dry a bit faster, but the reason for using it is to avoid water spots. So far as I know it does nothing for the longevity. If water spots aren't a problem, there is no particular need to use it, faster drying does help for avoiding dust problems though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've been mixing up Photoflo one shot, using 1.25 ml in distilled water for a 250ml batch, I hang the long rolls to dry and 8 out of 10 are getting slimy drips at the bottom. What am I doing wrong?
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin