Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,904   Posts: 1,555,834   Online: 773

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mark: I'd guess you're not rinsing fully before you use photo-flo. I've noticed fix can feel kinda slimy.

The photo-flo is picking up the residual fix and it's dripping off.

That's just a guess. Someone else will probably know for sure.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brofkand View Post
    Mark: I'd guess you're not rinsing fully before you use photo-flo. I've noticed fix can feel kinda slimy.

The photo-flo is picking up the residual fix and it's dripping off.

That's just a guess. Someone else will probably know for sure.
    I'll try washing more.

Right now I'm doing 5-rinses; 1-30 second, 2-60 second, 1-2-min, and a final 15 second rinse.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mark:

Are you using Hypo Clearing Agent or something similar before your wash?

If not, this is a very short wash sequence.

Matt

P.S. Actually, it is somewhat short even if you are using Hypo Clearing Agent.

Shooter
    35mm
    I solved all my photoflo problems recently. I always had the hardest time getting a dilution that seemed to do anything, and didn't leave (fairly benign) marks on my film occasionally. I'm not sure if it's because I use 18 megaohm ultrapure water or what, but the stuff foams too and little bubbles get caught in the sprocket holes. I think I finally have the optimum dilution nailed down. I don't have any problems and get perfectly clean negatives at 0% photoflo, by volume. My bottle should last a long time this way too.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bubbles form in sprocket holes and elsewhere and they burst and vanish as the film dries. This is normal.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Check the archives: http://www.apug.org/forums/archive/i...p/t-16378.html the formula listed seems to work as Photo-Flo, or at least I can't tell the difference.

Paul

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Mark:

Are you using Hypo Clearing Agent or something similar before your wash?

If not, this is a very short wash sequence.

Matt

P.S. Actually, it is somewhat short even if you are using Hypo Clearing Agent.
    I have not used hypo clearing agents yet. I do have some so I'll add that to my process.

I think I'll bump my wash to ten fill and dump cycles over ten minutes.

Thanks Matt

Mark
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    ULarge Format

Photo-Flo dilution & nasty scum

I'm a photography teacher and for years I've used 5 gallon tanks for the stock solutions for all the classroom chemicals. I've become used to checking the state of my stock photo-Flo regularly, because it tends to develop scummy bits floating in it that will dry very permanently on the negs. This been the case for years now. Not a big problem, but no one else seems to have this issue. Any thoughts why? [note: this is a high school photo lab, and the kids could be putting ANYTHING into the wrong tanks, but being teenagers, they certainly can't have been doing it consistently for several years...]

Also, in a workshop I took with John Sexton several years ago, he told us that 1:600 is really the correct dilution for Photo-Flo, and that he had this from a source at Kodak. Makes it last even longer....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are 3 Photo Flo formulas out there. Photo Flo 200, Photo Flo 600 and Photo Flo 1200. This numeric sequence relates to the dilution used in making up a working solution. The 600 and 1200 are made with Ethylene Glycol which is more toxic than the Propylene Glycol used in 200 and the latter is therefore preferred for consumer use.

In open tanks or tanks with floating lids, the water can evaporate and leave scum at the edges just as you get crud from evaporation of developer or fixer. The difference is that this scum is a goo. Scrape it off with a flat object and then skim it out of the solution with a coffee filter. This should work. But, Photo Flo can develop bacterial and fungal growths and that cannot be dismissed in your case. If it is a fungal or bacterial growth, the solution has gone bad and should be discarded.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Photo-flo is glorified dish soap. Technically, you could just use soap and distilled water.
    I will NEVER stop developing...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin