Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,562   Posts: 1,646,507   Online: 702

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Photo-flo is not dish soap. Dish soap just happens to contain surfactants. That's like saying diesel is glorified gasoline because they both contain hydrocarbons.

If you want to put purfumes, colorants, etc in your film, be my guest. Nobody will stop you. But there are much more ways to save money in photography that DO NOT have a possible effect on image quality or negative permanence.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I think it is what we call in the UK 'washing-up liquid'. I have been using a couple of drops of this in my final washes for many years and find it just as good as Photoflo. I have negatives that are now about 50 years old and they show no deterioration. I have also been using ordinary vinegar as a stop bath. I am inclined to think that most of the concerns about the purity of processing chemicals are unnecessary.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Unless I can teach you that this is risky at best, I'm afraid that many people will risk having lost their treasured photos at some time or another.

Best of luck to you. I'm tired making this point. Any change in the formulation of the soap you use, that is not intended to make for good film results, will cause you problems.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    PE,

Perhaps Black & White chemistry should be split into two subgroups:
    Black & White Chemistry traditional - by the book
    Black & White Chemistry experimental - at your own risk
    Steve
    Steve;

I quite agree, but there will still be those who wish to confuse items that should be in one or another category. It is human nature. People will do things to save a penny when they spent big money for the original photos and they may risk the entire thing to their false economy thinking that it should be main-stream technology.

This is the nature of the hundreds of myths that keep crapping up in analog photography. (yes, that typo was intended )

When you consider that people think that all VC papers are truly VC, this is self delusional. Not all VC papers yield smooth transitions from grade 1 - grade 5. Yet people will buy economy papers thinking that they are giving their negatives the same chance to be perfect as if they used a first rate paper.

This type of mythology, especially those simple ones such as surfactants for final rinses, will be with us for years I'm afraid.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by brofkand View Post
    Photo-flo is not dish soap. Dish soap just happens to contain surfactants. That's like saying diesel is glorified gasoline because they both contain hydrocarbons.

If you want to put purfumes, colorants, etc in your film, be my guest. Nobody will stop you. But there are much more ways to save money in photography that DO NOT have a possible effect on image quality or negative permanence.
    The risk of using household (Dishwashing liquid) or personal care products (Handwash) is that perfume aside, they contain shedloads of salt to thicken them, and the surfactants commonly used will often dry down to a sticky / greasy residue. The only household product that would possibly work is shower spray. This is the stuff that you spray on the inside of a shower door to prevent water marks and staining. That works like photoflo, and is probably very similar.
    I don't use photoflow, however. I use Ilfotol instead. Same sort of thing, easier to get locally, works in the same way.
    "Flatter Me, and I May Not Believe You. Criticize Me, and I May Not like You. Ignore Me, and I May Not Forgive You. Encourage Me, and I Will Not Forget You."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Guys;

Alcohol was used as a DRYING AGENT not a WETTING AGENT. These two are unrelated functions.

You treat with a wetting agent or surfactant to prevent water spots from minerals and contaminants in water. You use alcohol to promote rapid drying.

There is some overlap in function, but they are not identical.

PE
    As long as you know the difference when you're getting the beers in.........
    "Flatter Me, and I May Not Believe You. Criticize Me, and I May Not like You. Ignore Me, and I May Not Forgive You. Encourage Me, and I Will Not Forget You."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurum View Post
    The risk of using household (Dishwashing liquid) or personal care products (Handwash) is that perfume aside, they contain shedloads of salt to thicken them, and the surfactants commonly used will often dry down to a sticky / greasy residue. The only household product that would possibly work is shower spray. This is the stuff that you spray on the inside of a shower door to prevent water marks and staining. That works like photoflo, and is probably very similar.
    I don't use photoflow, however. I use Ilfotol instead. Same sort of thing, easier to get locally, works in the same way.
    The shower spray that contains Sodium Hypochlorite will dissolve the emulsion completely and leave a mess behind! Don't ever use that.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Would that be one of the chemicals you can measure with a teaspoon??
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I hate to add fuel to this ongoing fire, but what if I mention Tween 20? I understand it is a wetting agent; I bought it intending for aid in hand costing for alt process work, but have yet to use it.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Here we go again.

Please read the earlier post on a thread.

Steve
    LOL

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin