Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,484   Posts: 1,644,730   Online: 956

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilde View Post
    I hate to add fuel to this ongoing fire, but what if I mention Tween 20? I understand it is a wetting agent; I bought it intending for aid in hand costing for alt process work, but have yet to use it.
    The Tween series is used by some companies as their wetting agent and is perfectly satisfactory in pure form as used by these companies.

I've noted that the Photographers Formulary has a proprietary product that is called Formaflo. I've tried that with good results as well.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by richard ide View Post
    Would that be one of the chemicals you can measure with a teaspoon??
    Richard;

At one time, the cap of the Photo Flo bottle was its "measuring spoon" and the instructions called for one capful in a quart (or gallon, I forget) of water. This was so long ago. My goodness, I used to use it with the TriChemPak and with Versatol. So there!

PE

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I'm sure the Photoflow cap is more precise than using measuring spoon!
    Kirk

For up from the ashes, up from the ashes, grow the roses of success!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ron,
    You are reminding me of how old (chronologically anyway) I am.
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I am reminded of the story that 'in theory' bumblebees can't fly. A practical test of dish-washing liquids over many years shows that they don't leave 'sticky/greasy' residues. It would be odd if they did when you consider their stated purpose.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Fanshaw;

You rinse your hands and dishes after the use of dish washing or hand washing soaps, right? But, after a Photo Flo treatment you do not rinse. This is a significant difference. The "soap" is left in the film but is rinsed off your hands after use.

Also, any change in Photo Flo formulation over time takes film into its primary consideration. Dish and hand washing fluid redesign does not!

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format

Wipe Negs too??...after Photo Flo

At the hesitation of many saying I'll scratch my negs...Does anyone else very gently, carefully squeegee their negs to get rid of excess water (and any inherent salts pollutants, in that water)??

I use a very soft small wiper blade, carefully inspected, and kept clean. It cuts drying time therefore reducing dust contamination, and the negs are nice and spot free. By the way my last rinse before squeegeeing is photo flo.

Sirius and Photoengineer, do you have a take on this matter??

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If it works for you, it works. I think squeegees are great if the film does not scratch. You are obviously being careful with dirt and grit. A good squeegee does reduce the amount of water-born stuff which could stay on your negatives. I sometimes use soft emulsions, so am more concerned about scratches. Also, I live in a region with great water. It is pure and soft, so a drop or two of Photoflo does a great job of sliding the water off gracefully. If I had hard water here, I'd have a different perspective on rinsing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I dip my Jobo rubber squeegee in photo flow, give it a good shake, and gently wipe the film that just came out of the photo flow. Never ever a scratch, however, I only used Kodak or Ilford roll or 35mm film. Other brands that are softer, I would try it on a test roll, they may be more fragile.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DutchShooter View Post
    Typo on my side, just look at the bottle and it says 10% anionic surfactants...
    Non-ionic and anionic are different. Anionic implies something that might react with silver. Although a problem in this case seems unlikely, it is best to stick with things that are known to be photographically safe.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin