Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,543   Posts: 1,544,415   Online: 1065

Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Home replacement for photoflo

Is there anything at home that could be used as photoflow, if you don't have any? It's my week for dumb questions.
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Yeah, get some photoflow. If you use the wrong thing, you'll screw up your film.

If you are worried about water spots from minerals in your water, and you can't get some photoflow (like right now), get some distilled/deionized water and rinse your film in that as a final rinse, and then you shouldn't get any mineral deposits on your film.
    Kirk

For up from the ashes, up from the ashes, grow the roses of success!

Shooter
    35mm
    Distilled water for the final wash and dry the film at a clean place. You can let hot water flow for some time at the bathtub and humidity will take care of the dust. I wouldn't bother using anything else.

Shooter
    35mm
    A DIY solution is using the quick-dry stuff for the dishwasher. It is (just like photo-flo) ionic surfactant in water without any additives (at least the one I have at home). 1 drop in 500mL is enough...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    FYI, Photo Flo is Non-Ionic to minimize interaction with salts present in tap water.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Typo on my side, just look at the bottle and it says 10% anionic surfactants...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    http://www.stcloudstate.edu/osh/msds...00Solution.pdf

Non-ionic according to the MSDS.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    I would probably do a rinse in distilled water. If anything did show up I could always wash again once I had photoflow, rather than chance my film with an untested solution. (hey, I made a pun!):d Well, unless I didn't care so much.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd bet that Jet-dry is similar to photo-flo, but Jet-dry has colorants and probably other junk in it I wouldn't touch with my negatives.

Use Photo-Flo if you have issues with spotting. If you don't have issues, then just use plain tap water or distilled water. I personally don't have problems with spotting, so I don't use Photo-flo. Freestyle sells their brand of Photo-flo, and there are several other producers that make a similar product that is cheaper than Kodak's, but in reality you use the stuff in such high dilutions and it lasts so long that I would just buy Kodak to avoid any possible QC issues.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    i've never used anything but photoflo ..
    i have a bottle i have been using since 1982

it seems to have been a lifetime supply
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin