Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,648   Posts: 1,481,283   Online: 703

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Processing on the go : Aluminium trays?

Hi,

I'm currently on vacation in Edmonton and soon Vancouver shooting 4x5. I left pretty quickly and though I'd figure how to process my film later... Now I'm stuck with a growing stack of exposed mags I'd like to reload.

I'm about to go get some D-76 I plan to dilute to working solution directly from the powder as I need it, but would rather not carry plastic trays in my backpack (the big trekker's kind). Has anyone tried processing film in those disposable aluminum trays you use to cook things in the oven? I know I'll definitely need to cover the trays so I don't scratch my film, but they would fold very nicely!

Will the aluminum react with D-76?

Ideas, thoughts, experiences all very welcome!
    Alexis Vanier.
    Les Films Koniques

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    NEVER NEVER NEVER use aluminum with photo solutions. The alkali will dissolve the aluminum and release hydrogen gas. Never use it with fixer, the fixer will corrode it and leak all over the place.

Aluminum is a NO NO NO NO.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    PE would certainly know.

I DO Know what happens to Aluminum when you put some of it in a 2-liter bottle of exhausted fix. Eventually you don't have any more aluminum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You will have to cover the trays with plastic wrap. You could cardboard then as long as you used plastic wrap. Good Luck.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Danger Will Robinson! Aluminum is very corrosion resistant, but alkali's are it's weakness!

There is a very good reason photo processing equipment is made out of either plastic or stainless!

Perhaps some cheap dollar store tupperware? Real equipment is made from plastics that will not absorb chemicals, but for a quick fix the long term contamination shouldn't matter, especially if you dedicate them to one chemical (dev/stop/fix).

Buy it and toss it before you leave. Not the most environmentally friendly soloution but it will get you through your bind.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex.the.KoNE View Post
    ...I'm about to go get some D-76 I plan to dilute to working solution directly from the powder as I need it,
    If you mean mixing a partial bag of D-76 powder, isn't this also a "no-no" as the chemicals may not be evenly distributed in the bag?

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.the.KoNE View Post
    but would rather not carry plastic trays in my backpack (the big trekker's kind).
    May I ask why not? The trays would nest and take up very little room. And add very little weight.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you want to mix as needed, the way to do it is with bulk ingredients. The formula for D-76 is well known.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Go to a Dollar store and buy a few cheap plastic holders of the size appropriate for sandwiches. They shouldn't cost more than $2.00 a piece, and will probably nest nicely.

As for chemistry, if you cannot carry small quantities of liquid chemistry like HC110, Jim's suggestion makes a lot of sense.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Aluminum is a no no. That's for sure. Small plastic trays are probably your best bet. Just label them and use them consistently to be on the safe side. As far as developer choice is concerned, I'd probably want to go with HC-110 if I were in your shoes. It's quick and easy to mix up, very consistent, and fast working - all highly desirable qualities for tray processing on the go.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    35mm
    I would go with the HC-110 or even Blatzinol skip the stop bath and either mix fix from scratch, or more likely if I could carry some Ilford fix. they give 1:4 for film, but 1:9 would probably work on a one-shot basis with a 10 minute time. (test before you go).

JD photochem http://www.jdphotochem.com/ is in Montreal area and they can sell you dry chemicals to mix from scratch, In that case you would want to pre measure in plastic bags. and have a bunch of "kits" that have each chemical for say a liter of developer in a separate bag. D76/ID11 is only 5 parts. DON'T break up a prepacked powder, as you can never be sure if it has settled.
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin