Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,461   Posts: 1,570,629   Online: 776

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No images

Shooter
    35mm RF

No images

Aside from a boneheaded mistake like leaving the cover of your rangefinder lens on, would the use of a marginal developer (D-76, cooked up 10 months ago) cause the entire of strip of film to be wiped out?

I had a roll of Tri-X that I tried to develop in D-76 (1:1, 8 minutes at 20 C) and all the frames came up blank.

This is not the first time I've tried to develop film although this was the first time I only went 8 minute.

Any clues to pass along? By the way, I had a second roll in the same developer tank and that roll had 80% of the images come out.

Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    You should have gotten something if you also got some images on another roll. Developers don't exhaust spontaneously! Sounds like an exposure issue or lens cap. What kind of camera is this? Have you tested the shutter?
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Did the film actually go through the camera ?
    Morry Katz

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ty sonoma View Post
    Aside from a boneheaded mistake like leaving the cover of your rangefinder lens on ...
    Welcome to a distinguished group of experienced boneheads! You will fit right in with some of us!

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    Aside from a boneheaded mistake like leaving the cover of your rangefinder lens on, would the use of a marginal developer (D-76, cooked up 10 months ago) cause the entire of strip of film to be wiped out?

I had a roll of Tri-X that I tried to develop in D-76 (1:1, 8 minutes at 20 C) and all the frames came up blank.

This is not the first time I've tried to develop film although this was the first time I only went 8 minute.

Any clues to pass along? By the way, I had a second roll in the same developer tank and that roll had 80% of the images come out.

Thanks!
    Have a look at the rebate, this is the section of film outside the sprocket holes (in 35mm or along the very edge of other roll film sizes) it often contains identifying marks like film type and speed, frame number, etc. If the rebate is easily read, then I would suspect that it's a camera problem. If the rebate is blank, then it depends on the position of the reel with that film in the tank, if it's was at the bottom of a 2 reel tank then I would suspect the developer, if at the top then I would ask if there was enough developer in the tank to start with.

Another concern is the other roll, only 80% of the images turned out, were the missing 20% at one end, or dispersed within the roll, were they blank or just faint. If they were blank and interspersed then again, I would suspect the camera either not feeding properly or not firing properly.

Your time is too short, according to the tech sheet for D76, Tri-X in a small tank (any tank that holds less then 5 reels is a small tank) at 20℃ 1:1 should be about 10 minutes. If your developer is 10 months old, then it could be marginal, and that combined with the short time, resulted in a dud.
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

Shooter
    35mm
    If you make the second roll the first roll, it reminds me of a bonehead mistake when I was a HS yearbook photographer, shooting the homecoming court. Shooting 35mm SLR with flash, I got to the end of the roll. So I quickly held the camera by the lens, rewound, reloaded and started shooting. What I didn't notice was that when I held the lens, I twisted the aperture ring.

The film wasn't *quite* blank, but close enough.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Less than a bonehaed but more a camera-lens failure: one tiny loose srew in the aperture mechanism of my Rollei SL66 80mm lens caused heavy underexposure: the photo's were useless.

With 35mm allway's check the rewind knob when winding onto the next frame, esp in the beginning of the roll.
    It is allways possible that the film became loose when closing the back.
    Don't try to get 38 exposures out of a rol of 36....

Some early camera's, like my Regula P, had a safe-guard build into it: no film-advance no next shutter release.

Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The one time a film has been totally blank for me, it was because it did not go through the camera. I was new to photography, and was my first time using a new camera (Minolta X-700) that had been given to me and with which I was unfamiliar. I was used to the Canon QL loading.

Even with old developer, there should be a faint trace of pictures, if they were exposed onto the film in the first place.

In either case, you should still have edge markings of some sort.

If there are no edge markings, the film was not developed; it was fixed first.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    The one time a film has been totally blank for me, it was because it did not go through the camera. I was new to photography, and was my first time using a new camera (Minolta X-700) that had been given to me and with which I was unfamiliar. I was used to the Canon QL loading.

Even with old developer, there should be a faint trace of pictures, if they were exposed onto the film in the first place.

In either case, you should still have edge markings of some sort.

If there are no edge markings, the film was not developed; it was fixed first.
    If the developer was inactive, the film would appear totally blank. (ie. fixed first because it didn't get developed so your developer is the suspect, or you accidentally fixed instead of developed) If you have edge markings, the film wasn't exposed (your camera or yourself is the suspect)

You can test developer by placing a snip of totally exposed (completely flashed) film in it in. The film should turn black after a few minutes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If the developer was totally inactive, then yes, this could happen, and there would be no edge markings. If the developer was left in an open container for those ten months, it would do nothing at all. However, even if it was in a half-full bottle, it should still do something after ten months.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin