Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,471   Posts: 1,570,923   Online: 765

Thread: Kodak DK-50

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Kodak DK-50

Your experiences with this developer would be appreciated. I am looking to use it for both Efke 100 and Classic Pan 400. Would be interested in 1:1 dilution results as well as any info you might have on 1:50 semi stand if you've tried it.

Ilford Microphen is an equivalent so if you've used that I would be interested. Results with this developer and FP4 would be interesting.

Thanks,

Eric
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Large Format
    I use DK-50 (undiluted) as my standard sheet film developer. I also use it when pull-developing roll and 35mm. Never had any problems with it; but I'm no fanatic. HC110 (1:31) would probably work just as well.

-30-

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    DK50 is very different to Microphen in many ways, far lower Sulphite, MQ not PQ it's more ;ike Wellington's Borax MQ dev ( that D76 is derived from) in fact its half way between the two.

I never really liked the gritty grain of Microphen/ID-68 I used to use it with FP4 and mainly HP5 for push processing

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used to mix my own DK50. Micheal Maunder recommended it in an AG+ magazine article as a 'squeaky clean' developer, free of the base fog you always get with D76 / ID-11 and any fine grain developers with a lot of sulphite.

I used it for Fortepan films - especially Fortepan 400 - and I reckon he had a point, I always got very clear film where it was unexposed compared to ID-11 or Microphen. I nearly always used it one shot, 1+1 or 1+3. I've got some times back home (I'm away today). I've never tried 1+50 or stand.

Diluted it was reasonably high Acutance and gave full film speed, maybe a bit extra, but wasn't particularly fine grain. It was a good choice for old out of date films, giving the least fog (out of the ones I usually had to hand: Rodinol, ID-11, Microphen, Percepol, Ilfosol S, Acusol)

I've used Microphen a lot, too, but I reckon the two are quite different. DK50 always had a tendancy to be a bit 'hard' IMHO. Microphen can 'push' well without building up unprintable contrast but I don't think you get the clean, low base fog type effect that you get with DK50. Both can be quite grainy.

Just MHO.
    Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    hi eric

i have only used dk 50 in a deep tank
    it was full strength and "cut" with a half or quarter full
    tank of "seasoned" developer. it was replenished like mad ..
    maybe we'd put 700 sheets of film through it ..
    and made beautiful negatives.
    a lot of folks tend to have trouble with dk50 because they don't mix it with seasoned developer
    and they film they aren't accustomed to.
    i never push or pulled film in it, just normally shot
    ( maybe 100S @ f16.5 + 5 light studio portrait lighting ) old emulsion tri x and tri x ortho 5x7 sheets
    and some 4x5 as well. it was / is a great developer!
    beautiful full tone film ..
    i guess squeaky clean is a good word for it .. maybe in the old days they would say "crisp"
    but you get my drift

good luck!

john

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    hi eric

i have only used dk 50 in a deep tank
    it was full strength and "cut" with a half or quarter full
    tank of "seasoned" developer. it was replenished like mad ..
    maybe we'd put 700 sheets of film through it ..
    and made beautiful negatives.
    a lot of folks tend to have trouble with dk50 because they don't mix it with seasoned developer
    and they film they aren't accustomed to.
    i never push or pulled film in it, just normally shot
    ( maybe 100S @ f16.5 + 5 light studio portrait lighting ) old emulsion tri x and tri x ortho 5x7 sheets
    and some 4x5 as well. it was / is a great developer!
    beautiful full tone film ..
    i guess squeaky clean is a good word for it .. maybe in the old days they would say "crisp"
    but you get my drift

good luck!

john
    DK-50 was my primary sheet film developer in the 60's. I agree it's not an especially fine grain developer and it does make some beautiful full tone negs. I've used it in recent years 1:1 with Foma or Bergger 200 35mm shot behind vintage lenses for a more classic looking image. I still keep a jug for occasional use.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thanks guys. I will have to give it a whirl. I have a bunch of Microphen to use up first though. The Efke 100 tends to have a lot of base fog so I was looking for something that would eliminate it as much as possible.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If your not looking for 'super-sharp', DK-50 is almost the perfect developer. It tends to be self-masking. on most films.

regards

dw

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dr5chrome View Post
    If your not looking for 'super-sharp', DK-50 is almost the perfect developer. It tends to be self-masking. on most films.
    David, can you explain what you mean by "Self-Masking" ?

I guess you probably mean compensating. Geoffrey Crawley suggested that some people were using DK-50 at 1+4 which gives improved sharpness, gives development times for FP4 of 8 - 9 minutes @ 20°C

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    ..could likely mean the same interpretation.

dw

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin