Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,578   Posts: 1,545,735   Online: 922

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

TMY-2 maximum pushability

When I look at the literature for TMY-2 is gives a maximum pushaility to 1600. I have in fact been pushing most of the sheets of it I shoot to 1600, and I am rather impressed by the grain. However, I am wondering why it cannot be pushed further to say, 3200. Tri-X as we all know is an entirely different beast, but it can be pushed to 3200. Why is it that Tmax cannot be pushed that far? What happens If I try to, will it just stop developing at a certain point and refuse to get denser, resulting in a 1 stop underexposure?
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd imagine you could push it as far as you want. They (Kodak) probably doesn't publish their results because they make a separate product, TMax 3200 (but for some odd reason is only available in 35mm).

That's the only reason I can figure why they don't publish results. All you have to lose in trying it is a sheet of film and some developer!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    It's published in the J-109 Xtol directions.

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...ing/xtol.jhtml
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Only one way to find out....

Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    T-max films get slammed by the authors for poor "pushability" in the "Film Developer's Cookbook".

But, as tends to be the case with that book, actual results from people who know what they are doing tend to suggest otherwise...

I've seen excellent results at EI 1600 with TMY and TMY-2. I don't think any film looks particularly good when exposed beyond EI 1600, though, regadless of how it is developed. I can't name a specific EI as the tipping point for which TMZ produces better results than TMY-2.
    Digital Photography is just "why-tech" not "high tech"..

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin