Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,689   Posts: 1,548,781   Online: 1220

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    cmo
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

The Big Exposure Table for IR Films - enter your data here!

IR photography is difficult - well, finding the right exposure is. It's a matter of experience and costly bracketing. By now, everyone is fiddling around on its own, but now as we have this wonderful thing called World Wide Web we can just collect our data and share them with others so that we can all benefit. Good idea, and overdue, right?

Welcome to the big exposure table for IR films, please enter data of your successful shots like this:

Film - Development - Filter - epic description of location, daytime and season

You can also show the resulting photo, of course...

This thread is also mirrored with this one to make sure many people can contribute:
    http://www.flickr.com/groups/6897563...7621969093142/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are so many variables. Type of red filter used, type of IR film, film format, with anti-halation layer or without, strength of sunlight, angle of sunlight, type of reflective surface, amount of foliage, type of foliage, proximity to reflective surface.

Bracketing is pretty much the only way to go because shooting IR is not as easily predictable as ordinary bw or colour film.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

cmo
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Sure. It is always just a starting point, but the better... the better. And the more detailed the better.

That's why I asked for:

Film (type of IR film, film format, with anti-halation layer or without) - Development - Filter (Type of red filter used) - epic description of location, daytime and season (strength of sunlight, angle of sunlight, type of reflective surface, amount of foliage, type of foliage, proximity to reflective surface)

Shooter
    35mm
    Rollei IR 400 - 720nm IR filter - HC-110H 20min (presoak of 5 min due to anti-halation layer) - Summer (July) in The Netherlands (N52° 23.1585', E005° 13.3157')

I did some bracketing with shots at 3 different times of the day (time between brackets). Metering was done using a regular averaging reflective light meter (sixtomat), setting the light meter between ISO 6 and 50. Correct looking exposures:

1. Hazy sun, trees (time: 3pm) - EI giving the best results was 12

2. Full sun, trees in direct sun, with sun light in my back (time 4pm) - EI giving the best results was 25; example:

3. Shade, limited light on foilage, lots of shadow (time 8am) - EI giving the best results was 6-12

Actually, setting the ISO to 400 and use TTL with my OM-2n, metering through my 720nm filter, has given me quite good results up till now, with EC+1 for hazy/cloudy situations and EC+2 for lots of shadows on the foilage.
    Last edited by DutchShooter; 08-07-2009 at 05:54 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Clarification of parameters

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DutchShooter View Post
    Rollei IR 400 - 720nm IR filter - HC-110H 20min (presoak of 5 min due to anti-halation layer) - Summer (July)

Did some bracketing with shots at 3 different times of the day. Correct looking exposures:

1. Full sun, trees, indirect light (15.00) - EI 12
    2. Full sun, trees in direct sun light sun in my back (16.00) - EI 25; example:
    3. Shade, limited light on foilage, lots of shadow (8.00) - EI 6-12

Actually, setting the ISO to 400 and use TTL with my OM-2n has given me quite good results up till now, with EC+1 for indirect sun light.
    I don't really fully understand what the notes you wrote mean. I am guessing the numbers within parentheses are metered EVs. However, I don't get the descriptions. Perhaps complete sentences would explain it better without it seeming so cryptic.

For one thing, I don't see how something could be "full sun", yet also be "indirect light".

As for the last sentence, are you using the R72 filter, metering through it at EI 400, and adding a stop for "indirect sunlight"?

How do you define indirect sunlight? Is that what we sometimes call "cloudy-bright"?

What metering method are you using to determine the EVs you listed? It must be a reflected method, as I have never once metered any higher than EV 15-1/3 using an incident meter, and that was at White Sands.

I assume the pix were shot in the Netherlands, but I could be wrong.

Without a highly detailed, strictly structured standardized form being enforced in replies, the information in this post is bound to be confusing. It could be an interesting and helpful "database" if we bother do it well.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 08-07-2009 at 05:59 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

cmo
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    Without a highly detailed, strictly structured standardized form being enforced in replies, the information in this post is bound to be confusing. It could be an interesting and helpful "database" if we bother do it well.
    Well, you are somewhat right. I thought of this as the "sunny 16" for infrared photography, not as a very precise tool but as a "better than nothing" table.

There are two ways how we can do that:

- We just start like this to collect some data and ask questions later maybe.

- We create a huge form that everyone can fill. Of course, that is better, and it would be a great idea to print that form and use it as a way of taking notes during the shooting.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I really like idea #2, personally. Doesn't need to be a HUGE form...as long as the same info is there from everyone, and it is expressed in the same basic terminology.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    I made an effort to change my original post to makes things clear (now I know why I make notes )
    If there comes an empty format by someone else, I would be happy to rewrite my post to fit in the format. That would indeed make it easier to go through later on.

Shooter
    35mm
    Something like

Film:
    Filter:
    Metering type (TTL/separate meter):
    Exposure index:
    Developing conditions:
    Time:
    Sun light (amount & direction):
    Subject:

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Andy is absolutely correct about there being a lot of variables. However, a table of actual settings used by people is what I was looking for (and couldn't find) the first time I tried IR film.

Such a list would be a very good staring point for experimentation.

Even in it's simplest form such as: When using Filter XXX with Film YYY, treat as an ISO 12 film when metered without the filter would be a good starting point.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin