Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,886   Posts: 1,520,595   Online: 1049

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well I don't know where he ever thought he'd get away with 50ml of XTOL, though.

5L of XTOL easily lasts over 6 months and occupies just a single 5L container (cheaply available at Freestyle). I never can understand when people want to try out some "high-tech" or "boutique" developer but then only want to use it on 2 rolls of film.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are some raised eyebrows regarding the 50ml part of my post. Please let me explain. I've seen some jaw dropping good results of Fuji Acros 100 developed in a mixture of Xtol and Rodinal. The recipe used for these negatives uses 1 part Xtol stock with 4 parts water as base for the Rodinal developer. With a minimum of 250ml developer per film, I only need 50ml of Xtol stock solution, 200ml distilled water 2.5 gram Ascorbic Acid, a (very) little sniff of Borax and 3ml Rodinal.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cmo View Post
    3. I use 1 liter glass bottles, and of course they are never really full. In order to protect the developer surface against oxygen I spray butane gas (the cheap stuff for cigarette lighters) on top of the fluid, it is heavier than air and lays on the developer like a lid.
    Thank you very much! I never thought of that.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MrclSchprs View Post
    There are some raised eyebrows regarding the 50ml part of my post. Please let me explain. I've seen some jaw dropping good results of Fuji Acros 100 developed in a mixture of Xtol and Rodinal. The recipe used for these negatives uses 1 part Xtol stock with 4 parts water as base for the Rodinal developer. With a minimum of 250ml developer per film, I only need 50ml of Xtol stock solution, 200ml distilled water 2.5 gram Ascorbic Acid, a (very) little sniff of Borax and 3ml Rodinal.
    What you saw was ACROS. The XTOL/Rodinal thing is well known around here - and processing ACROS in EITHER will give you jaw dropping results because the film is incredibly sharp. Don't chase magic solutions - try both separately, then screw around after you've done 20 rolls. Otherwise you don't even have an idea what you're looking for.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I onced tried the HRX-3 developper by developping 2 Acros 100. The result was good, but not that much different (sharpness, grain, contrast...) to XTOL 1+1 (especially for 120 film) which is my favourite developper for Acros.
    The procedure to keep HRX alive is quite confusing as you cannot keep it in bottles with gas (ex. protectan from Tetenal) but rather completely fill the bottle by using water.
    250 ml costs +- 12 € and it should be used at a dilution of 1+29.

I stay with XTOL, which I keep in 5 bottles of 1 liter. The longest I kept was 8 months old XTOL, I never had a problem of sudden death with it.

Serge

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I did some additional googling on this and I found out that HRX-3 uses the same developing agent as Xtol (Phenidone) and according to the datasheet it produces negatives with a linear gradation curve. So when the Rodinal/HRX-3 mixture does not work out, I can still use HRX-3 as stand alone developer and end up with excellent scanning negatives. I'm going for it.

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    My experience is limited to HRX-2. Compared to XTOL 1+1 HRX-2 gave a significant improvement in sharpness on Delta 100 but at the cost of much lower speed (25 ASA vs. 100 IIRC). There was no visible improvement in sharpness with ACROS; the speed drop was lower as well (50 ASA vs. 80 ASA IIRC). Didn't see any change in grain to bother about.

This was before the introduction of HRX-3 and I continued with XTOL1+1.
    Regards,
    Andreas

lns

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    What you saw was ACROS. The XTOL/Rodinal thing is well known around here - and processing ACROS in EITHER will give you jaw dropping results because the film is incredibly sharp. Don't chase magic solutions - try both separately, then screw around after you've done 20 rolls. Otherwise you don't even have an idea what you're looking for.
    I totally agree with this. Acros works fine in either X-tol or Rodinal, and both are fine developers for other films too. Pick one. Use it for a while. Fiddle with agitation and time if you aren't satisfied. Then if you still aren't happy, try the other and compare.

By the way, it sounds like you aren't developing very much film. When using a one-roll tank, pay attention to the minimum amount of developer you need in solution.

-Laura

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin