Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,471   Posts: 1,570,924   Online: 771

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Ortho look with pan film?

I know this is probably a really simple, dumb question, but if I use a red filter with Pan film, can I make it look like it has Ortho properties?
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not at all. It will look like exactly the opposite of an ortho film if you use a red filter. Try a blue filter instead.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Blue, Green or Cyan filters should do it. Just be sure to add a little exposure because pan films are not as sensitive to the blue-green spectrum.
    http://www.zone-10.com

When you turn your camera on, does it return the favor?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken N View Post
    Blue, Green or Cyan filters should do it. Just be sure to add a little exposure because pan films are not as sensitive to the blue-green spectrum.
    Actualy, I think pan films remain more sensitive to blue, Otherwise you would not use a yellow filter to darken blue sky in order to differentiate it from white clouds.
    However you are minusing yellow and so subjects other than blue may need some thought to exposure.
    Regards
    Bill
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    you might enjoy your results using
    yellow+orange filters ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think Cyan of about 60 to 90cc should be close. You will want a minus red filter (red being equal parts yellow and magenta and the bits missing from ortho sensitivity if I have my facts right) and 90cc should do it, but might be over kill.

BTW it is not a dumb question but an excellent one.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by EASmithV View Post
    I know this is probably a really simple, dumb question, but if I use a red filter with Pan film, can I make it look like it has Ortho properties?
    Try a Wratten 44 or 44A. They have similar minus-red characteristics, but the 44 also cuts UV.

Ed
    "I only wanted Uncle Vern standing by his new car (a Hudson) on a clear day. I got him and the car. I also got a bit of Aunt Mary's laundry, and Beau Jack, the dog, peeing on a fence, and a row of potted tuberous begonias on the porch and 78 trees and a million pebbles in the driveway and more. It's a generous medium, photography." -- Lee Friedlander

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Out of curiosity...

What if, let's say I use a a heavily blue gelled light (strobe or cont.). Is it possible to get something close to "ortho" look. I know I am not accounting the reflection or cutting the red and green light like filter does but do you thing is it possible or somewhat close to it.
    Just an idea instead of using color filters. I can't try it at the moment because my flash is away

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    If I recall correctly, Ed has it right with the Wratten 44. I have a whole box full of Kodak Wratten gels stuffed away somewhere and I might have some information with them. I'll try to find them.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    I must confess some degree of ignorance on the topic of ortho film, which is ironic since I've shot on paper negatives for years in pinhole and LF box cameras, but at least with paper negatives much of the look is due to a sensitivity to deep blue and UV. I'm not sure if classic "ortho" film exhibits a UV sensitivity; I recall reading in E.Weston's daybooks the term "actinic" cropped up frequently, which I believe refers to UV sensitivity.

Many of the early photographic emulsions in photography's formative years were UV sensitive. I remember a session of shooting paper negatives at the Sandstone Overlook in the El Malpais National Monument in western New Mexico; at the Park ranger's visitor center they have a series of reprints, mounted on foamcore panels, printed from glass plate negatives of native American Pueblo people from the mid-late 19th century; the thing that strikes me is the almost negroid skin complexion captured in these old negatives, due to the lack of brown/red sensitivity in these early emulsions. I have since made glass-lens portraits of hispanic people using paper negatives that exhibit similar tonal qualities. Again, I'm not certain if these are tonal qualities shared with "ortho" films, or if these are unique to actinic emulsions exclusively.

~Joe

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin