Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,972   Posts: 1,558,699   Online: 836

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Acros Thoughts?

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    This thread has interested me in trying some Acros. I've been in love with Neopan 400 for the past 3 years and occasionally shoot a slower film which for me now has been FP4.

Not to hijack the thread, but as far as I know Acros is a "tabular" grained film as opposed to Neopan 400 which is traditional. Is this correct? How do the two compare?

Btw... all the photos in this thread are wonderful!

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brofkand View Post
    Chris,

Are those scans of the negative or scans of prints?

I love the tonal range of those photographs. I've never gotten anything close with Plus-X. It's my lack of experience more than the film though, I reckon.
    Look like neg scans to me. If those are prints, then my hats off to the printer.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brian steinberger View Post
    This thread has interested me in trying some Acros. I've been in love with Neopan 400 for the past 3 years and occasionally shoot a slower film which for me now has been FP4.

Not to hijack the thread, but as far as I know Acros is a "tabular" grained film as opposed to Neopan 400 which is traditional. Is this correct? How do the two compare?

Btw... all the photos in this thread are wonderful!
    I'm not a big shooter of Neopan, but the Acros is their version of tabular grain. I did not care for tabular grain fims until I saw Acros. In low light, acros is the fastest film around since it has no reciprocity problems at any reasonable exposure. FP4 was my former 120 film, but Acros is better on all the measures I care about so I am happy to use it.

Mark

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Well, my first post here, but it's worth it!
    Just a quick one to say that Acros is my low speed film of choice. I love it. Also, in my opinion Fuji is publishing much nicer data about their films (i.e. contrast gradients vs dev time).
    I always soup Acros in Paterson FX39 1+19. This combination is unrivalled to me, and the slight compensating effect of FX39 leaves my EI up there at 100, with just-right contrast (for my workflow, at least) and wonderful sharpness.
    Here's a negative scan done with a Nikon Coolscan 9000. The neg was shot with a Hassy 503cx and a Planar 100mm.

Happy shooting
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20081017scan01.jpg  

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I really like Acros rated at 50-64 in Perceptol.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    also, I pushed a roll to 400 in ID11 and the grain was negligible. I prefer fomapan over it simply due to price:quality. I notice that Acros has a much greater range, in my opinion, than the Fomapan when both are rated at 50 or 64. I have a well supply of both for the apocalypse.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by brofkand View Post
    Chris,

Are those scans of the negative or scans of prints?

I love the tonal range of those photographs. I've never gotten anything close with Plus-X. It's my lack of experience more than the film though, I reckon.
    They are scans from negs. I can't do darkroom printing anymore, the chemicals caused health problems for me...I have a lot of severe allergies that developed after years of working with photo-chemicals. I had done my own printing from the time I was 15 until I was 26. I'm 33 now and have been scanning my negs with a Nikon LS-8000ED since then. I had an advantage in transitioning because I was already knowledgeable of Photoshop and printing with a computer from the graphic design work that I do. I was a VERY good darkroom printer, but I think my hybrid workflow is giving me better overall results.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    Look like neg scans to me. If those are prints, then my hats off to the printer.
    These are scans from the film, but you should see my prints, they're just as beautiful
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's a nice film with excellent reciprocity. Very "T-Max-like" in regards to grain and seemingly in regards to curve shape (I say "seemingly" because I have never tested myself). I don't use it often because of the latter (I personally prefer curves that look like pretzels for most of what I shoot), but when I want to shoot long exposures, I use it or T-Max 100.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I really like it.

I shoot it at box speed and develop either in Rodinal 1+100 for 18 minutes, or PC-TEA 1+50 for 10 minutes. Lovely tonality, sharp & no grain to speak of. Dries flat too.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin