Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,911   Posts: 1,556,247   Online: 1047

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Acros Thoughts?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Acros is not a "harsh" film. If your results are too contrasty, then you are over developing, and probably underexposing as well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just saw on Freestyle's twitter that they now have 4x5 Acros available:

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/159525...-4x5-10-sheets

Hopefully they'll get larger quantities in soon. $17 for 10 sheets is kinda spendy.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Never had any problems with Acros 100 in D-76. Nice grain structure, I think it is on par if not better than Delta Pro 100 especially for scanning. Just my $0.02.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brofkand View Post

Hopefully they'll get larger quantities in soon. $17 for 10 sheets is kinda spendy.
    Thanks for the heads up. Fuji was saying that despite the 10 sheet box size it was going to be priced closer to the larger box size on a per sheet basis. I guess not. I was hoping it was going to come in around a buck a sheet, not $1.70.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    Acros is not a "harsh" film. If your results are too contrasty, then you are over developing, and probably underexposing as well.
    Peter nobody suggested it was 'harsh' quite the opposite.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Antony View Post
    Peter nobody suggested it was 'harsh' quite the opposite.
    Yep, I mis-read. Sorry about that.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I think we need to differentiate between general characteristics and observations that result from specifics that result from variables such as developer, type of dilution and type of agitation.

Acros is neither a harsh or soft film, if those terms are used to speak of contrast. In general it may take a bit longer in the same developer to reach as much contrast as TMAX-100, but one can adjust time of development to give almost idential contrast with both films.

In terms of curve shape, Acros has a very straight line response, very similar to that of Tmax-100. There is very little toe or shoulder, which requires good control of exposure and development. In this sense both Acros and Tmax-100 are quite different from a film like TRIX-320 that has a very long toe.

Tmax-100 and Acros are about equally sharp, IMO, when compared with the same developer and type of agitation. Across has slightly finer grain to my eye. I don't care for the "character" that comes from grain so the very fine grain of Acros is a big plus for me.

There is a slight difference in terms of spectral sensitivity in that Tmax-100 has slightly more sensitivity to red light. However, I think most would be hard pressed to see the difference between the two films in most situations.

I use more Acros than Tmx-100 because of the superior reciprocity characteristics of the former. I have also found that Acros is usually less expensive than Tmax-100 where I buy film, though that may not be true where you shop.

Sandy King

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    "Lacks a bit of character" - meaning it's rather pedestrian in some ways. When I think of films with unique traits, I think of APX, Tri-X, Delta 3200, Neopan, etc. They're all films with characteristics which some might deem less than perfect - but to me it's what makes them what they are.

ACROS is just a bit too perfect, was what I was trying to say.

Gee, and all this time I was relying on lighting and subject to impart character! ;0

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by brofkand View Post

looking at a Japanese website , the price for a box of 400 sheets worked out almost identical per sheet to the price of a box of 20 sheets for 4X5. That made little sense to me. I've just stated using it in 120 so waiting to develop my first rolls.
    Last edited by redrockcoulee; 08-15-2009 at 04:41 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: to clarify the cost per sheet

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I shoot Acros at 100 and develop in Super-Prodol. I really, really like it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails John Hancock building 2.jpg  

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin