Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,288   Posts: 1,535,365   Online: 804

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Acros Thoughts?

Shooter
    Multi Format

Acros Thoughts?

What are everyone's thoughts on Fuji Acros?

I'm looking at a good 100 speed film for studio use (120 rollfilm) and Acros immediately attracted me because it's about a buck a roll cheaper than Ilford or Fuji (I have had bad experiences with the Foma stuff).

How does it work in Rodinal or D-76? Is it best shot at box speed or under/over exposed and over/under developed? Does it curl up like Foma?

Does anyone have any scans of the negs? I'd imagine for a 100 speed film it should have relatively little grain, esp. in 120, and it should be sharp.

What are the bad and good points on Acros?

Thanks!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I like how Ilford FP4 stains with the catechol developer that I use, so that is my go-to film. But if I don't want (or need) to deal with reciprocity, Acros is my backup film. It makes great prints for me, even though it does not seem to take the stain as well as FP4.

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It has the best reciprocity characteristics of any film I know of. It is extremely fine-grained. It has a pretty straight line characteristic curve in standard developers. I expose it at EI 64, but you should test for yourself. I develop it in Pyrocat-MC.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I like it in Rodinal 1+50 and as others have mentioned it works magnificently for very long exposures.

The first one was shot in a Hasselblad in fairly bright light. The middle one was shot in a dim building, a church built in 1851 that was set on fire by Vandals last year. 90 second exposure in the Hasselblad. The last was with a Mamiya 645 as the sun had just gone down. It was a 4 minute exposure!
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Chris,

Are those scans of the negative or scans of prints?

I love the tonal range of those photographs. I've never gotten anything close with Plus-X. It's my lack of experience more than the film though, I reckon.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It was remarkable....it seemed like everyone at this year's photostock was using Acros in 120. Rodinal and Pyrocat seem to be the developer of choice. I've used both and settled on Rodinal, but both are excellent. Here is a portrait with Acros in Rodinal 1:50 for 12 minutes, agitated every minute. Ignore the blown highlights...my scanner has trouble with subtle highlights on prints.

Mark

Images
    Acros in Rodinal is my main 120 combo. Soup it in Rodinal 1:100, 18 min, 68 F, easy agitation on the minute.

This series I shot with a 1952 Rolleiflex: http://s42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...otten%20Souls/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Acros is great!

I love it, along with FP4, and Shanghai GP3 (amazing in Rodinal, works well in Xtol too), GP3 is also extremely cheap for a pack of 10 rolls from hong kong over ebay including shipping, I find it sits nice and flat after drying in stock film holders for scanning, unlike many Kodak products.

Pro 400H has a lot more curve than GP3 to squash those internet rumours too.

Shooter
    35mm
    I believe everybody who claims to "love" a certain film does so based on one particular photo, one that really took their breath away. For whatever reason, this is my "breathtaker" photo and it's shot on Acros:

Since I took this photo about 3 years ago I've used mainly Acros. I use Tmax400 when I need more speed, but Acros (developed in Xtol 1+3) is what i choose when low lightis not a big concern. I love the way this film looks.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

JLP
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If i did not already like Acros this photos would convince me to like it. Lovely smile and a pretty girl.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin