Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,514   Posts: 1,543,622   Online: 1111

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Agitation without inversion

Since the beginning I have used the inversion technique for agitation but recently I have noticed that my Krokus tank is starting to leak like crazy and was wondering how effective turning the stick in the center of the tank is for agitation?

I am really clueless on this technique.

Shooter
    35mm
    When I used plastic tanks, I always used the washing-machine-twiddle-stick method of agitation. It always worked fine; I always had leaks when I tried to invert my plastic tank.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As the last poster says the twidle stick works just as well, in a small tank - one or two spirals..

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It also can do wonders in exteding the life of the developer. I use this when I want to run say 6 rolls of C-41 in my 4 reel tank. I mix c-41 1L at a time, and I usually consider it good for up to 12 rolls if they are all processed soon after the ingredients are mixed, but it does not keep well past two weeks, particularly if a few rolls were processed in it when it was first mixed.

It does oxidize quickly to aerial exposure. So just spinning means that I can run three reels, re-bottle the develper, and then run the second batch of three reels.

I have tried using it with inversion agitaion in a apaterson tank, and it is oxidised off after the first round of films.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    35mm
    My own experience is that it can work, but I have trouble sometimes getting an agitation pattern that's right -- it's easy to get underdevelopment or streaks on negatives if you agitate too little, too much, or otherwise wrong. I recommend you set aside a few test rolls to see how it works for you. Include a range of films that require different development times.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I always have dark edges on my negatives with the twiddle stick in AP and Paterson tanks. I tried slow, fast, right, left both ways. I never use it to agitate except initial agitation, stop and fix steps..

Shooter
    Medium Format

If you want anti-anal results..this should work.

Hello, I would suggest trying this technique. I can't give you any exact zone system answer that will give you high-light and shadow retention...but, will work fine.

Keep you tank on the counter and move it in a continuos figure eight pattern. It also would be OK to use a figure nine, three, or four. If you use a figure one or two pattern,be sure to turn your tank clock-wise a quarter turn each time you move back and forth. Do this motion for the entire time. If you think it is to much agitation...pause- breath- relax and continue when you feel it is appropriate. and Yes, you can read a little humor in this post.....the idea is to slosh around the developer. Ofcourse, none of us real photographers would ever think of doing this approach..much toooo unpredictable. ;~))

Have fun, good luck!...let us all know how it all turns out.

Anthony

Shooter
    35mm
    I've always used the twiddle stick, and never had any problems developing up to 5 rolls in a tank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by oscroft View Post
    I've always used the twiddle stick, and never had any problems developing up to 5 rolls in a tank.
    Ditto. If there is a center post on a plastic tank, use it rather than invert the tank. That is what it is there for.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Same here when I use plastic. Never thought of inversion with those tanks......

Peter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin