Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,873   Online: 983

Shooter
    35mm RF

Correcting errors in Anchell books thread

I am starting this thread so we can share in one place any errors we know of in the popular Anchell books, such as "The Darkroom Cookbook"

Please detail which book, edition, page and formula which contains an error so it can be discussed and verified by members here. Tell us why it is an error and once an error and correction are verified, we can go in and correct our own copies as needed.

It would also help if this could be made a sticky for an ongoing resource.

Eli

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Many if not most of the errors in the DCB 1st & 2nd Editions were corrected in 3rd Edition, and Steve Anchell has an errata online on his own.website, so any thing else you spot is best snt direct to Steve.

The FDC is the same although Bill Troop used to have an errata on his own website, but it's no longer online, again Steve carries an errata for the FDC.

It's fairly pointless putting them in a thread here which will just disappear down the list out of site within a few hours or days.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm RF
    [QUOTE]It's fairly pointless putting them in a thread here which will just disappear down the list out of site within a few hours or days./QUOTE]

That's why I mentioned making it a sticky Ian.

Apug is my favorite resource for darkroom info and though it might be interesting to visit the Anchell site now and again, I'd just as soon have the input of members here when it comes to the final word on darkroom chemistry, they've never let me down and often have several workarounds or variations on formula.

Eli

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    APUG has it's own "Formulae section" this is independent of the FDC & DCB, the errata etc for the DCB & FDC is Steve Anchell's site. Why should APUG be used to post the corrections that have already been made in the 3rd Edition of the DCB ?

Ian

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Why should APUG be used to post the corrections that have already been made in the 3rd Edition of the DCB ?
    Well, simply put, these issues/formulas are frequently discussed on APUG; not everyone looks at our section on formulas or will go to the Anchells site and as these are some of the most popular books currently available on these topics, new or used, a sticky in this forum where many first look for answers would be easy to see when visitors and members start searching for information, especially when things go wrong.

Certainly no harm can come of making more, accurate data available, and the information in any of these books can be discussed at length in one on-going thread, which is the point of an open forum in the first place.

Eli

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's already available in the DCB 3rd Edition. If you want to add more put them in the Formulae section here on APUG. The site is not an Errata for the DCB or FDC or any other publication.

Alternatively start a thread about a specific formula.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ian;

I think that what Eli suggests is doable, fair and useful. It is also handy.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would like to see it also. It may be very useful & popular with members and subscribers.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

DCB Errata

Ian makes a good point about errata being in the formula section, but I would personally be very pleased to see them identified in any section.

That said, there is an errata section in the DCB forum on my web site, http://www.steveanchell.com/index.ph...owcat&catid=19. If you do find any errors I would greatly appreciate them being posted there so that I can have them fixed in the 2nd printing of DCB3.
    Steve Anchell
    Author:
    The Darkroom Cookbook
    The Variable Contrast Printing Manual
    The Film Developing Cookbook
    The Nude at Big Sur

www.steveanchell.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm shortly going to post an Errata of sorts for Jacobson & Jacobson, "Developing", 18th Edition, which in my opinion is the perfect companion to Steve's excellent "Darkroom Cookbook".

I should add that there are very few errors in the Formulae in Developing, and in single figures rather than the 200+ Bill troop claims in a separate post (here on APUG recently)

Many errors in the early editions of the DCB are not unique to that publication and are frequently also found in Morgan & Morgan publications (Photo lab index etc), John Carroll's books and a great many other US publications and still a few websites.

Ian

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin