Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,929   Posts: 1,585,297   Online: 1055

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Anyone have any success requesting alternative inspections of carry-on film: visual, manual, or hand in lieu of scanning? My experience has been inconsistent in this regard.
    "Get over it."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In Europe hand scans aren't done any longer. Only airport I've seen that offered them (scientific films only) was San Paulo in Brazil, the other South American airportt didn't offer them.

Modern airports usually just don't have the staff or the time.

Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    SXF - Berlin 2008 - Presented a bag of assorted 120 films and asked for a hand inspection (pointing to the Delta 3200). Not a problem, stuck a sniffing device in and was done in seconds.

LAX - Los Angeles 2007 - They spotted the bag of films and offered a hand inspection, didn't even have to ask.

STN - Stansted London 2008 - Staff grumbled & bitched, but did a manual inspection.

LHR - Heathrow London T5 - Staff bitched and would only hand check the 3200 roll.

Haven't noticed any fogging patterns on the films to date. Should point out the the Delta 3200 is a sacrificial roll, well out of date by now, and only gets packed because of the "do not xray" warning in multiple languages

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In my experience (as with many others it seems), I have never had any trouble going through hand baggage scanners with films up to ISO 400. Multiple passes, including in places with dubious looking scanners (eg Vietnam, Jordan) have never caused a problem.

Re hand inspections, I don't have any recent experience in the US, but my experience elsewhere is that these are becoming very hard to get. Probably rightly so too. If scanners are generally fine for film, then items as big as film rolls should be scanned.

Ian

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Kodak's article is 6 years old and based on older data, the scanners have changed quite significantly in that time, and become very much more sophisticated making them far more film friendly.

Ian
    I3a published tests of films being scanned with an Xray scanner; seems like it was published a year ago so tests should be made in 2005-2007
    http://www.i3a.org/wp-content/upload...testreport.pdf
    SO far it seems safe to pass 3200 film (people say real sensitivity is around ISO 1000-1600) 5 times under a scanner and get nothing considerable.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The only place that would not hand inspect my film was Paris, France. I would only carry on film (and cameras) because you never know where or when your checked luggage might end up. Having experienced my luggage once go to a different country on an airline I wasn't traveling on, I now make a luggage tag with contact numbers and my itinerary for each day. I use 120 film and remove all the rolls from their boxes and the outer wrapper and keep them in a ziplock bag or a nylon mesh bag so it is easily checked.
    jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffreyg View Post
    The only place that would not hand inspect my film was Paris, France. I would only carry on film (and cameras) because you never know where or when your checked luggage might end up. Having experienced my luggage once go to a different country on an airline I wasn't traveling on, I now make a luggage tag with contact numbers and my itinerary for each day. I use 120 film and remove all the rolls from their boxes and the outer wrapper and keep them in a ziplock bag or a nylon mesh bag so it is easily checked.
    jeff
    Is it necessary to remove the outer wrapper? [For scanning, I know it has to be removed before using.]

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Airport scanners don't scare me. The real damage is done in the mail when the trays of mail pass through the irradiation devices. In the first year or two after 9-11, they hadn't quite gotten the hang of what dosage to use and any higher speed film passed through them were damaged. The glassine windows of windowed envelopes were frequently melted or burned.
    http://www.zone-10.com

When you turn your camera on, does it return the favor?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I also had trouble with the Paris CDG inspectors. They wouldn't hand inspect and were very anxious I shouldn't take their picture, later, covering their nametags with their hand.

Below is a frame from a stowed baggage X-ray in Wellington, New Zealand. This is APX100 and unfortunately the last I saw of my father before he died 3 months later.

Always take your film in the hand baggage.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Patrick.jpg  

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    By far, UK is the worst. Bunch of jerks when it comes to checking film. However, 3rd world countries I've been in I didn't even bother. 10+ scans of 100 or so rolls. NO ISSUES, including lots of 1600PR and Tri-X, etc.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin