Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,199   Online: 845

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    By far, UK is the worst. Bunch of jerks when it comes to checking film.
    Perhaps it's you that's the jerk not them at least in their eyes.

Unlike some countries, in the UK there is testing done and as I pointed out earlier in this or a parallel thread the UK has had a committee for many years that oversees film safety and airport security scanning. Kodak, Fuji, Ilford etc are involved along with Professional Associations and the RPS.

I was most insistent on having my film hand checked 2 or 3 years ago at Gatwick, but was given a BAA sheet indicting that the carry-on scanners had been thoroughly tested to ensure they were fully film safe. Once through security a more senior official came to re-assure me, it turned out that he was very keen film photographer, and also the RPS member of the airport film safety committee, he had access to all the data on film testing and visited the factory making the scanners.

The BAA no longer uses the film/scanner safety sheet as no-one was interested in it.

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 08-13-2009 at 02:56 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: add

Shooter
    35mm
    I've had the same 15 rolls of film pass 13(!) consecutive hand-luggage x-rays when travelling through Asia (everytime a few more which were already exposed). ISO 100-400, B&W and color-negative. Not a single problem.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No issues here, with any film sent through any carry-on x-ray machine in the U.S.A. I shoot HP5, Delta 3200, and Fuji Press 800 almost exclusively for small format, especially on trips, when I try to K.I.S. and consistent as far as my selection of emulsions. (I do always bring some tungsten film, some medium-speed color transparency film, some IR820, and occasionally FP4 or T-Max 100 and 400.) No problems with NPH, NPZ, HIE, or IR820 either.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 08-13-2009 at 09:41 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have not had probs with multiple scans of hand luggage. I have heard of Paris CDG hand baggage scanners fogging film on one pass but dont know how reliable those reports are. It was interesting to see that same airport crop up several times in different threads so I would be seriously wary of this airport. Maybe its some machines at some terminals (or none), but I have not heard a reliable account of carry on fogging at other airports. I ask for hand checks if I can to reduce overall exposure, esp of D3200.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tom, I've been through Paris, CDG airport, with film twice and had no problems.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Tom, I've been through Paris, CDG airport, with film twice and had no problems.

Ian
    Was the film scanned or did you ask for an inspection?

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Scanned both times in Paris, I've never yet had an occasion where film hasn't been scanned at at nay airport.

I have had film hand searched by passing a metal detector all over the clear bag containing only film then the security guy just put it through the scanner aterwards !!!

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    re my previous post:
    I remove the outer wrapper for hand checking because one time I was asked to do that (I forget where - I think Milan, Italy) on film I hadn't used so I figured it is easier to make it as easy as possible for the airport personal.
    Jeff

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffreyg View Post
    re my previous post:
    I remove the outer wrapper for hand checking because one time I was asked to do that (I forget where - I think Milan, Italy) on film I hadn't used so I figured it is easier to make it as easy as possible for the airport personal.
    Jeff
    Yes, make it easy, be polite, and don't do what one fellow I met did and grab the airport inspector by the shoulders as he was about to pull the exposed 4x5 plates apart to inspect them. Unless, of course, if they are your life's work and can never be re-captured--then do as you see fit.
    "Get over it."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It happened to me once with a couple of rolls of 120 film (FP4+). I was back in London from a trip to Turkey and found that some rolls (about 2 out of 20) had strange sinusoidal patterns on them. At the time I wasn't sure that it was due to an airport scanner, but years later after following a link here at APUG I saw sample pictures of film with x-ray damage; it was the same pattern. The film was bought in London and checked through x-ray at Heathrow and Istanbul airports.

Having said all that, I travel quite frequently by plane (with film) and this was the only time there was a problem.

Cheers

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin