Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,941   Posts: 1,557,554   Online: 1147

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Today I was surprised. I developed a roll that I accidentally packed in the checked luggage. There was no trace of fogging! Made my day!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by rternbach View Post
    Anyone have any success requesting alternative inspections of carry-on film: visual, manual, or hand in lieu of scanning? My experience has been inconsistent in this regard.
    It really does depend on who is running the scanner. On a recent trip to Peru we went through security in Charlotte (NC), Lima, Cuzco, Lima again, and Atlanta. The only refusal for a hand-check was the first time through Lima, where the guy politely but assertively told me the machine was safe and to send the film through. On the return in Lima the woman running the scanner reached for my Ziploc film bag and did a hand-check before I had time to ask (the place was busy both times).

In the U.S. I had a security officer sigh at the sight of my bag of ~60 35mm rolls and suggest I just send it through the scanner; before I could respond another security guy came up, checked a few rolls by hand, told me he was a photographer, and let me through.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Schoof View Post
    In the U.S. I had a security officer sigh at the sight of my bag of ~60 35mm rolls and suggest I just send it through the scanner; before I could respond another security guy came up, checked a few rolls by hand, told me he was a photographer, and let me through.
    Nice to hear!

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Of course, this will all change when someone eventually attempts to get something illicit on a plane by concealing it inside film cannisters. Then every newspaper and politician on the planet will express outrage about the fact that these things were ever allowed to bypass the scanner...

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Schoof View Post

Digital is the answer. Just forget it.

I travel by car and toll booth collectors do not care about film or anything else

The data sheet is worthless unless they tell you how many passes were made to detirmine safety.

The data sheet is worthless unless they tell you how many passes were made to detirmine safety.

X rays damage film no matter what they say and the more passes, the more damage

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You are correct Ron. The I3C provided that data many years ago. It is available but not too easy to find. The "data sheets" are summary based on a criteria that can be disputed by anyone who looks at the study data and has an opinion. That study doesn't seem to have ever been updated; I don't know if it would matter or not in a statistically significant way but it sure would be interesting.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin