Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,705   Posts: 1,482,765   Online: 1097

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

anyone had probs w/airport scanners & fog?

I've been reading a bunch of posts about potential probs @ airport x-ray scanners, but has anyone had any real issues....would love to hear about them...pls include the iso/asa, manufacturer and type (B&W, colour, neg, reversal) of any film "compromised" by scanning. Also would love to see what it looked like (fogging) and where the film was kept (hand v. stowed luggage), if poss. Just curious. thanks & cheers. sam

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Beyond the recent thread there are numerous threads in here on the subject with examples and links to other information.
    Kodak also has a lot of information;
    http://www.kodak.com/global/en/servi.../tib5201.jhtml
    http://search.kodak.com/?page=site_s...q=x-ray+damage

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kodak's article is 6 years old and based on older data, the scanners have changed quite significantly in that time, and become very much more sophisticated making them far more film friendly.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    No but I take a lot of business trips and I've thought about doing the following test. Take a 4x5 ready-load and glue a quarter to the front and back of the outside cover so that the quarters overlap front-to-back. Put the ready-load in my bag and carry it around for numerous trips. After a reasonable number of trips develop the unexposed ready-load and compare the base+fog in the general image area to that where the quarters are. Perhaps someone could put this thread to sleep once and for all.

Denis K

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Denis K View Post
    Perhaps someone could put this thread to sleep once and for all.
    It will never end. It's been going on 5 years+

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum47/6...y-threads.html

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The first time I read about it was an article about them old russian scanners adding some cool thunder&lightning effects to your B&W negs. That was in the 1980´s
    Personally I haven´t had any problems with the west-european scanners, and I´ve past a few hundred rolls of all kinds during frequent flying the last 10 years or so.

Cheers Micky
    Last edited by Old Micky No 9; 08-12-2009 at 08:30 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    i have brought film overseas a handful of times
    from asa 25 to 800 ( even tmy ) in my carry on
    ( a few years ago, maybe 12 passes through scanners ...
    heathrow had LOTS of scanners )
    never had troubles in the last 10 years. i even put exposed film
    in my luggage without knowing any better ( 1999, 2000 ) and had no trouble.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You have to keep in mind that the scanners are different at every airport and each country has its own rules that govern what their airports need to adhere to. That being said, in the post-911 security driven society that we now live in, there is becoming a higher prevailance of scanners that will damage the film that you carry and those scanners are changing on a nearly daily basis.

The carry-on scanners aren't generally the ones to be afraid of. The scanners that scan your checked luggage is an entirely different matter as they are designed to scan through large bags and packages to not only see what is in your luggage but to look for certain substances that items are made of. That kind of scan uses huge amounts of power and that's what does the damage. I've personally made the mistake of putting some 120 colour neg film in my checked luggage on a flight home from Hawaii and there was a very noticable fog difference between that and the roll that was still in the camera that I carried through security that came from the same pro-pack box.

I'm not generally a fear monger or someone who thinks that Big Brother is constantly leaning over my shoulder, but to think that the technology is getting better for film is way off base. The scanners are getting better... at being scanners. They may not be X-rays anymore but they will still damage your hard earned work.

Ryan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Carry on baggage scanners are what we're talking about here. No one disputes that the checked baggage scanner will damage film.

Regards, Art.
    Last edited by gr82bart; 08-12-2009 at 12:06 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Definatley not. And reason no 1 for not putting your films in the checked-in luggage is that it tends to get lost from time to time. And maybe passing through a few scanners more on its way.

Cheers Micky

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin