Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,563   Posts: 1,573,344   Online: 1014

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The Morrison and Boyd I used was from 1985 or so. And it's not biochem influenced, as the whole biotechnologies thing had not really taken off by then. It's pretty stock, straight-forward O-chem.
    Kirk

For up from the ashes, up from the ashes, grow the roses of success!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Our undergraduate text in the mid-80s was Kemp and Vellacio, but Morrison and Boyd was also heavily used and recommended.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Peter Sykes' "Guidebook to Mechanism in Organic Chemstry" held my hand and helped me survive the most hated part of my scientific education. It's a daft price new, but the start of year student-to-student textbook recycling that is about to begin will see plenty of copies available at a reasonable cost.

It is also worth mentioning that most of what happens once the sensitisers have been synthesised is usually taught under the heading of Physical Chemistry rather than Organic. I can't recommend a book, but there are several threads here discussing classic papers in the field.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    L.F.A. MAson, Photographic Processing Chemistry, is another excellent publication, although not an organic chemistry book it's probably more useful, I say that and I studied Organic chemistry at University.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Among the standard textbooks these days are the ones by Solomons, McMurry, and Maitland Jones (especially Solomons and McMurry). Older editions are fine (they can be had very cheap at places like abebooks.com). The old standards (Morrison and Boyd, Streitweiser, Kemp, etc.) are good but there are now more "modern" ways of presenting the material.

Any good introductory book will give you the basics, but as others have said, you may not find much of photographic interest in a general textbook. The redox chemistry of organic molecules doesn't get covered in much detail in basic texts, for example.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    so I made the trek over to the used bookstore today. Finding not even a single copy of M&B in any edition, I picked up Edwin S. Gould, "Mechanism and Structure in Organic Chemistry" - first, (c) 1959 in nice condition. I am dubious of its usefulness but, it does look interesting.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Gould is quite advanced. It is usually used as a level II Organic book after the introductory courses using the textbooks given above.

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Gould is quite advanced. It is usually used as a level II Organic book after the introductory courses using the textbooks given above.

PE
    LOL! just my luck.

Oh well, I'll wade through a ways and put it up on the shelf. I'm halfway through the first chapter and there isn't anything new yet (I wondered around in the Physics department for a few years in Grad school before returning to Math - my real area).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I loved Gould. I got out my copy in a fit of nostalgia when you posted. It is a good book, but hard. I aced the first exam from Gould with nearly 100%, but my average was a B. I was a slacker.

My minor was math.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by brianmquinn View Post
    ... not all photo Chemistry is Organic Chemistry.
    AgX has no carbon neither does KI, etc.
    So don't write off an inorganic chemistry text.
    True.
    However, someone might benefit by the knowledge that "Photo Chemistry"
    and "Photographic Chemistry" are terms that describe very different disciplines.

Kirk-
    I am a Morrison and Boyd man too... probably the same edition.
    IIRC it was thicker than any of my other books, with the exception possibly of the MERCK Index.

Ray

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin