Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,826   Posts: 1,582,042   Online: 767

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just using one film,devel.,camera and lens really helped me alot. For the longest time I'd use what ever was new or popular not quite understanding the property's. Getting familiar with one has made it easier to try new frontiers (kids are watching Star Track,sorry bout that).

Mike

Shooter
    Medium Format
    @Denis, yeah, but Thomas Aquinas was shooting digitally I think. It was his instruction manual.

I have given that "one developer one film" advice many times. Would that I were better at following it myself. I am an inveterate tinkerer so I've tried dozens of films and a number of developers over many years of doing this. I keep meticulous records of what I've done with what combinations, so I can easily look up previous experience and adjust things going forward. I tend to use and handful of films and one developer for quite a while before becoming restless and moving to the next late/great thing.

What's finally getting me to settle down is simply an ever-decreasing amount of time to devote to this time-sucking passion. I am currently using D-76H and TMAX, but I can easily go back to Xtol / Mytol or HC-110 on a whim, using my notes to guide me. I have accumulated a lot of experience with these developers over time. Long shelf life and/or home-mixability are very important now that it's longer between processing sessions.

Films? These days I'm shooting far more C-41 color than I am B&W; it just interests me more right now, nothing more complicated than that. But 400TMY, 100TMX, and 320TXP get the most use.
    Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mike c View Post
    Just using one film,devel.,camera and lens really helped me alot. For the longest time I'd use what ever was new or popular not quite understanding the property's. Getting familiar with one has made it easier to try new frontiers (kids are watching Star Track,sorry bout that).

Mike

That is Star Trek, NOT Star Track...geeesh!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cknapp1961 View Post
    That is Star Trek, NOT Star Track...geeesh!
    Give me a brake,there the Trickies not me

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have been sticking to Tri-X and XTOL. If I am given another type of black & white film, I develop it in XTOL. I still have not found a better film for me than Tri-X.

After I shoot my two rolls of HIE and develop it in XTOL, I will start using Pyro Rollo to see how that handles Tri-X.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    i only use 1 developer, a maybe 3 different films ..

i try to shoot everything 15thS wide open
    no matter the camera ( or the film )

Shooter
    Multi Format
    To me, "one developer one film" is sort of confusing advice to anyone who's starting out, and anyone who's starting out is likely to ask a question that gets responded to with "one developer one film".

How are they supposed to know what to use in the first place, or that it's the best for the situation, or that it's getting them as close to what they have in their head if they don't try a bunch of stuff? Not to mention that different speeds of different films are better suited to different developers. It's almost as if people are expected to have thirty years experience with this stuff.

I'm not saying people should use whatever random film or developer has the most interesting label that day, I'm just saying there comes a time that experimentation is a good thing. Sure you like TMAX 3200, but maybe you'd like Neopan 1600 or Delta 3200 or Foma 400 pushed or whatever random thing. Maybe you try a roll and you hate it, maybe you love it? How else are you going to find out than to use it? Read descriptions on the internet, or even worse, the packaging?

I used Tri-X and HC-100 exclusively for about 10 years. Then T-max 100 came along, and I used it with HC-110 for about 5 years. Then I discovered Pyro developers, and I've used them for almost 10 years. I still like Tri-X for my 4x5 work, and I now like Acros for MF. I just don't shoot 35mm any more, but my faves there were Tri-X and Delta 100. I'm in a phase where I'm trying and comparing some of the different staining developers, and some other non-staining developers like Rodinal and T-FX2. I guess I'm at a settling-out point, and when I find the combination I like best, I will stay with it for a long time. I had kind of settled on APX100 as my favorite film just a couple of years back.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have no intention of only using one film in one developer, in one camera, pointing at one subject in one type of lighting, for one decisive moment. But then, I'm not doing this for clients as a production line, like I used to be many years ago. I can do what I like now - I can please myself.

I tend to home on Tmax film in Tmax dev, but when I'm not doing that, I'll try a wide range of developers with a wide range of films, in a wide range of cameras (but not necessarily a wide enough range of subjects) and attempt to process them all to achieve the same kind of result that I like. Usually I manage it, and hence I consider I have versatility in that respect. Occasionally I find a film/dev combination that I can't get to work the way I want, but that's okay, I just avoid it in future, when it's all used up. The ones that do work the way I want, I tend to learn the finer nuances of how it varies from others. When any film or dev is finished, the last thing I want to do is use some more of it - that's boring, and I relish a new challenge. My photographs are not important enough to warrant consistency, stability or quality at all. The getting there is quite fun, though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    This is the trend I'm following : ALMOST one film in small format (HP5 is more and more frequent), no more than one in LF (Tri-X) and one developer per film (HC110 for the Tri-X, X-Tol for HP5 since HC110 gives times that are way too short).

But I also try other combos from time to time. I recently developed HP5 in Ultrafin and the results seem promising (but I haven't fully proofed them yet)
    Laurent

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast (Oscar Wilde)

My APUG Blog

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin