Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,867   Posts: 1,583,274   Online: 1096

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Two films for me. FP4+ and HP5+ usually developed in Prescysol.

I used to try out lots of different films but I have now settled on these two. I have not experimented with developer much. For years I used Ilfosol exclusively, then DD-X.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It's OK to work with many films and
    developers. Just don't under expose
    or over develop. Other wise you're
    just experimenting and may not
    have printable results for
    years to come. Dan

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    From a practical point of view, one film is not reasonable. There are times you just need more speed than others.

One developer is much easier.

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by c.w. View Post
    To me, "one developer one film" is sort of confusing advice to anyone who's starting out, and anyone who's starting out is likely to ask a question that gets responded to with "one developer one film".

How are they supposed to know what to use in the first place, or that it's the best for the situation, or that it's getting them as close to what they have in their head if they don't try a bunch of stuff? Not to mention that different speeds of different films are better suited to different developers. It's almost as if people are expected to have thirty years experience with this stuff.
    When I started processing black & white film, I already knew that I liked Tri-X over TMax 400, so I looked at the Kodak literature and choose XTOL because it usually gave the finest grain.

It is not hard picking one film and one developer if you were already shooting film and knew which goal you want. It just takes a little research.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't think the advice really is to just use one film and one developer, period. That would be stupid advice.

I think the advice is usually given to people who are "flailing", trying this thing and that, mixed and matched, all together, changing films and developers left and right, and generally never being consistent.

That is a necessary part of photography, and perhaps one of the most fun parts. However, it is hard to actually learn quickly and well from any of it unless you come from a place of solid consistency and repeatability.

...hence the advice.

It is not some general order that one developer and one film is The Way to go. It is just a suggestion to help establish decent control and give a baseline for comparison in future experimentation.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    ...hence the advice.

It is not some general order that one developer and one film is The Way to go. It is just a suggestion to help establish decent control and give a baseline for comparison in future experimentation.
    Exactly!

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    I notice that most folks recommend the exclusive use of one film and one developer...but, then I get the feeling that nobody actually does this.
    I do. I'm using 5x4 TMY-2 and XTOL 1:3. This is my sole B&W film, and I've been using it for at least 18 months, probably more like two years.

Before that I used 5x4 Tri-X and XTOL 1:3 for like five years.

Before that is sufficiently ancient history that it's hardly worth discussing.

The only reason I switched from Tri-X to TMY-2 is that I got hammered by a number of people whose opinions I respect to at least try TMY-2. And when I finally did I switched immediately and never looked back.
    Bruce Watson
    AchromaticArts.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been at this fiddling along for over 25 years now. I have gone thought the phase of one film one dev, then one film different dev and dilutions experiments, then multi films in a known developer, then varied developers. Now I am moving back to at least one type of developer with a given sort of film. For me now 35mm TMAX sees FX-37 1:3; Plus X gets shot at EI80, then developed in microdol X or d76, or if the light conditions suggest it, in PMK 1:2:100. All of my 120 or 4x5 usally sees harveys 777 or hc-110h.

For my 35mm woirk I am currently trying to work my way though all of the oddball films that have been bought or given to me, and get back to just hp5 and fp4+ There is pleasures in a single film and developer. Over time exotic developer experiments have taken away some of the old days simple pleasures.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kodak Tmax 400 & Xtol (replenished).

For once I actually live as I preach.

I confess I have a few rolls of 35mm Tmax 100 as well, because it was cheap, but I don't do any real serious work with it, it's more for snapshots. There is also the odd roll of 120, a couple of Plus-X, some weird IR film, a roll or two of Tmax 100. I use those for pinhole photography or stuff it in the Holga until I don't have any more (maybe eight rolls). Then it's all Tmax 400.

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm living what I preach also relative to film. Although I use two types of film and two types of developer, it's pretty much it for me anymore. No need to deviate. Neopan-400 in pyrocat, and ACROS in Diafine.... Matches made in heaven. While I have been 'distracted' sometimes, I keep going back to the above two.
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin