Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,900   Posts: 1,584,411   Online: 745

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use tri-x (400) in 120mm and HP5 (200) in 4x5. If Kodak made Tri-x (400) in 4x5 it would be my choice.

At one time I was 100% HC110 for both. Now using 510 Pyro 100% for both, but still have several bottles of HC110 on the shelf.

Only shoot color in 35mm.

Mike

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I have been using HP5 dev'd in ID11 (1+1) for my 5x4 ever since I bought it 3 years ago

Before that it was FP4 in ID11 (1+1) for about 20 years.

HP5 is a great film but I do miss the tonality of FP4

In my first few years of photography I quickly latched on to FP4 in ID11 but was constantly lured by cheap film deals & available developers.

However, after frequently disappointing results I cut out the "churn" and decided to concentrate on one film & one developer.

Can anyone realistically look at a finished print from someone else’s and say with any accuracy what film/dev combo has been used ?

Martin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Aislabie View Post
    Can anyone realistically look at a finished print from someone else’s and say with any accuracy what film/dev combo has been used ?
    No.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    It is not hard picking one film and one developer if you were already shooting film and knew which goal you want. It just takes a little research.
    Emphasis mine.

The problem that I see is that to the beginner, especially now the beginner who hasn't shot film ever before, that there are so many conflicting opinions to read through and variables in posted photos that it's very confusing.

If a new film photographer were to research Neopan 1600 on Flickr they might think it a grainy mess, but printed the might like it quite a lot. When I first started with film I thought high speed films were useless blobs of grain because all I had seen were bad negative scans. The first time I printed an 8x10 from Neopan 1600 it was a revelation.

I guess what I'm trying to get across is that I'm a firm believer in experimentation. Not in a wishy washy try everything under the sun randomly way, but methodically.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin