Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,911   Posts: 1,584,690   Online: 713

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Following our own recommendations....

I notice that most folks recommend the exclusive use of one film and one developer...but, then I get the feeling that nobody actually does this.

I tried to stick to just one film and one dev for these past twelve months or so.
    I chose 320TXP in D-76(1+1)...

Do you stick to just one film and one dev?

If you do, which combination? and,

for how long have you been using just one?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Brad,

For stuff to be contact printed, 5x7, 8x10 and 7x17 I have used TMY with Pyrocat HD 2:2:100 and print on Azo for at least the past 4 years. For stuff to be enlarged, 35mm and 4x5 I have used Tri-X and HC-110 for 25+ years. Based on the amount of TMY in my freeezer, it will be at least 5 years before I even consider using anything else!

It takes too long to really get to know the materials to spend my life testing/experimenting with new film/developer combinations. They day someone shows me (with prints) that their combination is superior to mine, then I'll consider checking out their combination (still not likely).

YMMV
    John Bowen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use one developer -- D-76, mostly 1+1, but sometimes stock, depending on the film.

In 120 I shoot HP5+ and Acros, and Efke for infrared.
    The only thing in shoot (in black and white) at 135 is HIE, but that's almost gone.

So really, although I'm using different films, it's one film for one purpose.

However, having used D-76 for over 4 years now, I'm going to start experimenting with Rodinal and Acros, now that I know what Acros in D-76 looks like, and the fact that I accidentally bought two bottles of Rodinal a while back.
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    I notice that most folks recommend the exclusive use of one film and one developer...
    Actually I don't think that's true. What a lot of folks do advocate is to learn how to use one film and dev combo at a time. I tend to agree with that approach. If you throw too many ingredients in the pot at once then it's hard to tell what worked and what didn't.

As for me, I'd estimate that I use ilford fp4+ and hp5+ in ID11 1+1 around 75% of the time for medium format. Other times I am using neopan in xtol, and other times efke in wd2d+. In 35mm I am using tmax more often. In LF I use panatomic x more often! And sometimes I use chromogenics as well. I also I happen to like to shoot colour slide and do analog conversions to b&w (tmax), and I also do some hybrid stuff using ortho film. All different tools for different purposes- there definitely is no single film/dev combo that does everything I want across all the formats and for all output methods. If I really had to pick one it'd be fp4+ in ID11/D76.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I spent 5 years working with pyrocat hd and then rodinal. Eventually I settled on rodinal and use it exclusively. For 4x5 and 8x10 I use FP4+ and have added HP5+ for a high speed option. I use TMY-2 and rodinal for my mf work.

I think learning one film/dev combo at a time, as Keith mentioned, is what's most important. It allows you to eliminate variables and really get to know how the materials will respond to different situations. I'm just getting to the point where I'm fairly confident with my materials and can concentrate on the work. It's wonderful!
    Last edited by Shawn Dougherty; 08-12-2009 at 08:08 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have to agree. After using 320TXP and D-76 exclusively for about a year, I feel like I know what it can do and I feel pretty confident in the combination. Not sure it is the best...and, at this point, I'm not sure I even care. It does pretty much what I want, it is reliable and readily available...all good things.

I was just wondering how many others actually adhere to the "one film, one developer" mantra...because, I definitely see there are benefits.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    P.S. I somehow left out two of my favourite films- rollei superpan and fuji fp100b. Again, totally different tools....
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Many films for me...but usually only one developer. With b/w, HP5 and Delta 3200 are what I use probably 75% of the time. The other 25% is Efke/Adox, IR820, Tri-X 320 and 400, FP4. and T-Max 400 and 100 (for long exposure night shots).
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    Wasn't it St. Thomas Aquinas who said?

"Beware of the person of one book."

Denis K

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use whatever I can afford at a given time. While I'd PREFER to use ERA Pan 100 and HP5+ exclusively, the reality right now is Expired FP4+ and Kodak Hawkeye Surveillance film, because I happen to have a fair bit of each.
    Regardless, I do always stick with ID-11 or Xtol. Or Rodinal...
    Depending.
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

Worry less. Photograph more.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin