Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,478   Posts: 1,571,005   Online: 879

Shooter
    35mm

size of replenished container

Good morning

ok, here is my question. Is it better to use a larger container, and thus more solution when running replenished? Currently i have 2L bottle and use 500ml at a time, usually do 2 rolls at a time. I am curious if greater stability would be achieved if i used a 1 gallon, or metric equivalent, container instead. I prob do 4-5 rolls a week, and want to have a more stable system in the long run.

secondly, if switching over to a gallon size, if that is what people think, is it ok to pour the current replenished stock into the gallon and top off the bottle with fresh stock? i am assuming ill have to re season the bottle again, which has taken a bit with the current 2L.

thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For years I've used a 2.5 litre container for my stock developer, taht always worked perfectly and allowed me to use my Jobo 2000 tanks which take 3 litres for 12 5x4's or a large Paterson tank with 4 120's. nEver had a stability issue.

If you do move to a gallon container the yes use your current dev to season the new developer you make up, that's normal practice with replenished developers.

Oh & Good Evening and welcome to APUG

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    ah ok

thanks! was just curious. Im a scientist so i over analyze every detail (except spelling errors). I have started using xtol and am still having adjustments needed to get it right, but am using the kodak #'s for the large tank replenished.

well, sounds like the 2L brown bottle is ok for what im after, thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    For years I've used a 2.5 litre container for my stock developer, taht always worked perfectly and allowed me to use my Jobo 2000 tanks which take 3 litres for 12 5x4's or a large Paterson tank with 4 120's. nEver had a stability issue.

If you do move to a gallon container the yes use your current dev to season the new developer you make up, that's normal practice with replenished developers.

Oh & Good Evening and welcome to APUG

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm using replenished D23 and have a 1L stock bottle and 500mL of replenisher. When the 500mL is gone I was planning on mixing up another liter, but the theory of using larger stock solution volume makes sense.

I'm not sure I understand the "seasoning" though. I was told to replenish my developer until I have added 1/2 the stock solution's original volume of replenisher, or 500mL in my case. If I was to use this 'well replenished' stock solution to season my next batch, what fraction of the old, greatly-replenished stock solution do you mix with the new, never-replenished stock solution? And do you once again replenish that "seasoned" mixture with 1/2 its volume of replenisher before doing it all over again?
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In commercial darkrooms running deep tanks a fresh new mix of dev would always be seasoned with some of the previous dev. If not the first films lacked the qualities that a replenished dev can give, better tonality, sharpness, reduced grain etc.

We always added about 10-15% of the old dev to season the new, never more than that, the old dev has a build up of bromide, iodide etc which helps significantly.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When using replenished developer I always put the "R" into the partially filled bottle & then returned the "experienced" solution to the stock bottle assuming any overfill would then be considered exhausted.
    Is this correct?
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm
    That's what I do as well, though I'm not sure how 'correct' it is.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    In commercial darkrooms running deep tanks a fresh new mix of dev would always be seasoned with some of the previous dev. If not the first films lacked the qualities that a replenished dev can give, better tonality, sharpness, reduced grain etc.

We always added about 10-15% of the old dev to season the new, never more than that, the old dev has a build up of bromide, iodide etc which helps significantly.

Ian
    Two questions:

1. Why can't these "build up" chemicals be added to a formula?
    2. I always thought the reason for replenishing was a financial one.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I. They are in colour processors you have a starter pack to add to the fresh dev..

Some other companies versions of D76 use Bromide in the initial stock (Agfa 19 is one), so do some similar formulae, but the seasoning method works better.

2. Replenishment is of course extremely economic but in a busy commercial darkroom is/was the only practical system, and even on a smaller scale makes sense if there's 10+ films a month being processed.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Ian, I may give this a try.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin