Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,682   Posts: 1,482,223   Online: 1049

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reusing Fixer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Moravec View Post
    Never reuse film fix more than 24 hours old. The little black speck on the bottom of the bottle is silver from the previous film that has precipitated out. This will stick to the next film and not even running water will wash it off. There is no home method to filter it out.

I mix 8 oz, use for 24 hours, and use it up on test test strips for prints.

Fred Picker from Zone 6 said never pour anything back into a bottle. Experience has told me he was correct.
    A bit over the top. There are funnels with screen filters that would take those particles out.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    I've never noticed particles at all. I use 1+4 diluted Hypam until it stops working; usually several dozen rolls.
    Don't radically overfix with a rapid fixer; some can actually dissolve away fine details.
    Do you have anything to back that up with? It was my understanding that you could fix for any reasonable amount of time and not have to worry about the silver image. I sometimes leave my film in the fixer for 15 minutes or more and never worried about it.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Never reuse film fix more than 24 hours old. The little black speck on the bottom of the bottle is silver from the previous film that has precipitated out. This will stick to the next film and not even running water will wash it off. There is no home method to filter it out.
    Well, in 40+ years of developing and fixing b&w film I've not heard this one before. I guess it could happen but it has never happened to me. I don't understand how the silver can precipitate out when it is dissolved in an acid. I mix my fix per instructions and discard when the hypo check precipitates.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd imagine if you fix for 30 minutes or more, you might have issues.

And I have 20 oz of working fix in an old diet coke (nectar of the gods) bottle that I keep for however long it takes me to exhaust it. I've never noticed precipitate in it until I drop a bit of steel wool in there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think you should tell both Ilford and Kodak about this, because it is inconsistent with all their instruction sheets.:rolleyes:

See the attached Kodak documentation, which indicates that in tanks working strength Rapid Fixer lasts for one month (without use) and has a useful capacity of 32 8x10 sheets per liter:

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...3cf/e103cf.pdf

Matt
    Last edited by MattKing; 08-15-2009 at 09:10 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: forgot the link

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Fred Picker from Zone 6 said never pour anything back into a bottle. Experience has told me he was correct.

i am not sure how accurate this is ..
    when i processed and printed film and paper for a portrait photographer
    i kept careful notes regarding how much film ( deep tanks ) and
    paper went through the deep tray.
    we didn't throw out fixer after 24 hours, ever ...
    deep tank took 500 or 700 sheets of 5x7 film ( sorry i don't remember, it was nearly 20 years ago )
    and paper was when the fixer test told us to change it.

film and prints were made this way by the woman i worked for, since the 1930s,
    and i printed some sheets of film that were processed in the 40s when i was there.
    i have seen portraits ( engagement portrait ), from the early 60s ...
    none of it went bad, and none of the fixer was discarded after 24 hours ...

CBG

Shooter
    Multi Format

Doesn't sound useful to me. I reuse till hypo check says stop.

Sure, maybe for ultimate quality when there's an unlimited budget - just use everything once? But for the rest of us mere mortals, reuse.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, you can reuse fixer. And you can use it for several days, as long as it remains clear and does not accumulate suspended crud. Opinions vary, but I would throw it out after a week or so, just on general suspiciousness. But different fixer formulations have different capacities, and you need to be sure that you do not exceed the capacity for the particular fixer you are using. The capacities the manufacturers list on the bottle are often optimistic (some more so than others), and I would cut them in half to be on the safe side.

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes, you can reuse fixer. And you can use it for several days, as long as it remains clear and does not accumulate suspended crud. Opinions vary, but I would throw it out after a week or so, just on general suspiciousness ... The capacities the manufacturers list on the bottle are often optimistic (some more so than others), and I would cut them in half to be on the safe side.
    Why the waste? Can't you tell when film is insufficiently fixed? I don't worry about my fixer until I pull film off the reel at 5 minutes and notice it's still a bit foggy-looking. It goes back in the fixer for another 5 minutes or so and then I mix up a fresh batch for the next roll.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    I don't worry about my fixer until I pull film off the reel
    at 5 minutes and notice it's still a bit foggy-looking.
    It goes back in the fixer for another 5 minutes or so and
    then I mix up a fresh batch for the next roll.
    I too use fixer one-shot. When using rapid fix I'd add
    20ml of concentrate to 480ml of water then use that
    500ml to fix one 120. I knew though how much
    time with what agitation was needed to
    thoroughly clear the film. Dan

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin