Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,862   Posts: 1,583,174   Online: 719

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Reusing Fixer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Never reuse film fix more than 24 hours old. The little black speck on the bottom of the bottle is silver from the previous film that has precipitated out. This will stick to the next film and not even running water will wash it off. There is no home method to filter it out.

I've had this happen to me and as a result all fix goes down the drain (!) after my developing session is over. Since it can be weeks between sessions I'd rather make up a new batch of fresh fix. I don't have a lot of money to burn but a 5L jug of fix lasts a long time for me, including all the paper developing I do as well.
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    "Black Specks"

A question for the chemistry experts out there.

The only time I ever experienced this problem was when I had to buy cheap fixer in a pinch. I have never experienced this using Kodak Fixer (powder), Kodafix or Polymax fixer (I think it's the same thing as Kodafix) even though I re-use fixer agressively and extend it's life with a USII Silver-Magnet.

What would Kodak be adding to the product to avoid this issue?

TIA,

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Neal View Post
    "Black Specks"

What would Kodak be adding to the product to avoid this issue?
    OR more importantly, leaving out!

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin