Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,499   Posts: 1,543,162   Online: 1120

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Real Agfa formulae:-)

Finally found a 1951 book of real Agfa Formulae etc, none of your ersatz right wing US propped up West German Agfa rubbish

Will go nicely with my Windisch - "The new Photo School" 1938 in English & "Die neue Fotoschule", 1941, in German

The Agfa book is nice because I use a similar vintage Carl Zeiss Jena 150mm f4.5 Tessar, an odd rare but excellent & exceptionally well coated LF lens that was probably made for Linhof. But 1951/52 was the vpoint where the Communists pulled Zeiss Jena & Agfa Wolfen away from possibly re-uniting with their new West Geraman off-sring and heralded the start of the cold war.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    I have read that Agfa-Gevaert supplied/sold raw materials to OWRO for many years. When did this stop? Do you have the original Rodinal formula in that book?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow! You are going to upload some of its contents? Please. Pretty please with sugar on
    Norman is an island.Time and tide wait for Norman.

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    My edition of the book is a couple of years NEWER than yours, Ian. *brags*

And, yes, it's very good.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Oh, Ian, didn't "recognise" you. New avatar.
    The formula of the famous Agfa rodinal, is there? I thought it was secret.
    Well, I suppose the later formulas were secret. The pre war ones don't seem to be.

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    No, Agfa 9 (Rodinal) isn't published in this book.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    JPD is right I don't think the formulae for RO9 (Rodinal) has ever been published by Agfa or Orwo, but the pre-WWII/Wartime formula was published in the F.I.A.T. Report (Allied Intelligence reports on German Industries, compiled at the end of the War) and by Glafkides, and I have it somewhere.

The formulae for R08 (Glycin based) and R10 a p-Aminophenol 2 part developer have been published.

Quote Originally Posted by Blighty View Post
    Wow! You are going to upload some of its contents? Please. Pretty please with sugar on
    There's a lot of Formulae I'll be posting on APUG over the next few months. I'm always on the search for more books of Formulae to verify the 500+ that I already have in my database, and there's at least another 250, more likely over 300 yet to add. I should add taht I haven't checked the DCB or FDC, or Photo-Lab Index at this stage for additional formulae.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For Rodinal fans:

In 1910 the Agfa handbook of Formulae etc says:

In connection with the use of "Agfa Rodinal" the following remarks should be carefully noted:

In addition to neutrai sulphite and water "Agfa Rodinal" contains only an alkaline salt of Paramidophenol, but no excess of caustic alkali.

The method of manufacturing the developing agent was Patented so it was no secret.

LP Clerc gives a formula for making Rodinal in his 1938 book where an alkaline salt of p-Aminohenol is made, precipitated & filtered it's the re-dissolved in the minimum amount of NaOH it takes to dissolve it and Sulphite added. On an industrial scale that was how Rodinal once used to be made. Of course we don't know how Agfa adapted the formula over the years but the biggest changes were made when Agfa (West Germany) re-formulated the product and probably changed the original manufacturing process and raw chemistry.

My copy of Clerc is in the UK or I'd post the formula.

Alternative formulae use p-Aminophenol hydrochloride or in Kodak's case the oxalate, Kodak sold both the hydrochloride form & the oxalate as Kodelon.

Rodinal equivalents were made by Ilford "Certinal", May & Baker and other large photo chemistry manufacturers.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    hi ian

any info on agfa 130 ...
    thanks!
    john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Only bought the book last night John, I won't get it for a while as it'll go to my UK address, and I've no idea when I'll actually get to see the books unless I can persuade someone to bring them over to Turkey.

I do have most of the Agfa formulae already including Agfa 130, but I've not been able to cross check it as of yet. Agfa 130 is one of the handful of developers that is quite different in formulae & type between Agfa-Ansco in the US and Agfa/Orwo in Gernany:

AGFA / ORWO 130

Metol 2.5 g
    Sodium Sulphite (anhyd) 30 g
    Hydroquinone 7 g
    Sodium Carbonate (anhyd) 30 g
    Potassium Bromide 1 g

Water to make 1 litre

AGFA -ANSCO 130

Metol 2.5 g
    Sodium Sulphite (anhyd) 30 g
    Hydroquinone 11 g
    Sodium Carbonate (anhyd) 67.5 g
    Potassium Bromide 5.5 g
    Glycin 11.0 g
    Water to make 1 litre

For use dilute 1+1. Development times 2 - 6 min.

hope that helps

ian

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin