Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,632   Posts: 1,648,028   Online: 859

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

4x5 sheet & stand development

Is it feasible to stand develop 4x5 sheet in a 35mm reel tank? Was going to roll and hold with a rubber band and slip 4 sheets into a patterson tank. Ive like what I got using stand development with some 35mm so thought I could do 4x5 the same.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    hi shane

there are people who do this sort of thing.
    you have to be careful which way you put the elastic on the film
    ( make sure it is not on the emulsion ... )

it is called "the taco method" by some ...
    i might be doing that myself in the next few days

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks, although I did have a brain fart, while the negs fit the shape of the lid drop down into the area taken by the neg and bends them down, I need to use a bigger tank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I often do reduced agitation development on sheet film in trays for night log exposure photos or other high contrast shots. I have had no problems agitating every five minutes, though I usually do three minute intervals. I have not tried going any longer yet. One precaution I take is to cover the entire tray with a larger tray during the "stand" periods.

When I develop this way, I experiment the first time by figuring out a time based on the total percentage of total development time in which there is active agitation. For instance, if I normally develop HP5 using dilution H, my time for normal contrast is 15 minutes, I normally agitate about 15 seconds out of every minute, then I know that I agitate for 3:45 minutes total, plus one minute at the start, for a total of 4:45 total agitation. If I use double dilution H for stand development, I double this. So I want 9:30 of total agitation time. I give two minutes of constant agitation to start, just to get the film somewhat evenly developed and burn out some of the developer activity right off the bat. Then I agitate for 30 seconds every three minutes until I have reached 9:30 total agitation time. 2 minutes initial, then 30 sec. out of each 3:30 fifteen times. Because of this timing, every cycle, I end up "flipping" to the opposite thirty seconds of the minute.

As you can see, this takes an hour per shot. To save time, I do several sheets at once, all in different small trays. I put 4x5 film in 5x7 trays and 5x7 film in 8x10 trays, and cover all the little trays with a big tray. I have done 4 4x5 sheets at once and two 5x7s at once, but no more.

Sounds convoluted, but it has worked surprisingly well for first guesses, with little adjustment needed.

I generally like the results of stand development best on large format. The reduced solvent activity really lets the grain go to town, but it shows up as a unique form of "micro sharpness" (to make up a term on the spot), but without actually showing the grain like with smaller formats.

The rubber band method in a hand tank sounds interesting. I would like to try it. My only fear would be that the bromide streaks might become too directional. I would probably want to change the orientation of the tank after each agitation, like I do with roll film. When I stand develop roll film, I do it in an open tank designed for developing sheet film. After each agitation, I turn the reels a different way. Sometimes on their top, sometimes on their bottom, and sometimes on their sides.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I've never done more than one at a time, but I know people who use the taco method and like it quite a bit. I use a taller two-reel tank that I have sitting around (no idea what brand) and just slip the single sheet inside to do stand development. It beats sitting in the dark listening to the radio for an hour when using trays for stand development...

- Randy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank again. For some reason I didn't you could stand develop lying down, in trays. Learning more every day.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I wanted to revive this thread and ask a question....

What kind of dilution should I be looking at for stand development with 4x5 film?
    3.5ml per sheet?
    5ml per sheet?

I'm using a patterson 3 reel tank that holds about 1 litre of liquid; and using the mod 45 holders. (i use to use a lot of HC110B). How many sheets should i fit in there?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Most I know use Rodinal at 1:100 for a hour with a gentle mix at 30 minute.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would only use those minimums of 5ml for 8x10 sheets if at 1:100. A 4x5 sheet has much less surface area than a roll of 35mm 36exp. Try tray development if you can have access to a darkroom much faster and consistent.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You could use a MOD 54

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin