Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,208   Posts: 1,531,955   Online: 1137

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I've never seen this problem, but I can see how it could happen if the negative is not totally free of dust. I don't remove many of my older 35mm negatives from their print-file pages these days, but my larger film sizes use top opening storage materials like those listed above and they seem to work very well - no friction at all on the negative to insert/remove. I now get my archiving supplies from this place - http://www.archivalmethods.com/ - as they have a wide range of options, ship quickly, and are easy to work with on the phone.

- Randy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hey guys:

I think I found a source for the proper negative "fold lock" sleeves. They are made by clearfile. They fit into the negative sleeves we already have-- which is no doubt good.

Clayne-- This is what your talking about, right? These show that they hold six frame strips yet the actual sleeves only hold 5 frames-- how does that work?

http://www.archivalusa.com/fff35.html

-- James
    Last edited by Stock Dektol; 08-17-2009 at 03:09 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: more info.
    I will NEVER stop developing...

Shooter
    35mm
    I also what to know where I can buy these superior negative sleeves because all I've ever seen at camera shops or Freestyle photo or whatever is the printfile-style sleeves. Which are also fairly cheap.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You need to give the film rep the secret hand shake. Then he/she will know.
    I brake for fixer!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    I also what to know where I can buy these superior negative sleeves because all I've ever seen at camera shops or Freestyle photo or whatever is the printfile-style sleeves. Which are also fairly cheap.

The website I posted describes that they fold lock sleeves should be used in conjunction with the printfiles.
    I will NEVER stop developing...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Film and negative protective enclosures from Light Impressions. I have used their products for thirty years with no problems. Also a good source for mat board and sectional frames.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Light Impressions, Printfile, Archival Methods, etc. they all sell the same polyester fold-locks.

Quote Originally Posted by Stock Dektol View Post
    Hey guys:

I think I found a source for the proper negative "fold lock" sleeves. They are made by clearfile. They fit into the negative sleeves we already have-- which is no doubt good.

Clayne-- This is what your talking about, right? These show that they hold six frame strips yet the actual sleeves only hold 5 frames-- how does that work?

http://www.archivalusa.com/fff35.html
    That's the same general design, yes. The sleeves are all designed for 6 frames. Where did you see the 5-frame reference? If you mean your sleeves (the page-size ones) only handle 5-frame width, then you'll need to get new album sleeves.

Personally I've moved away from album sleeves and use archival envelopes and boxes now, along with the polyester fold-locks. I find the handling, storage, and organization to be easier in a way.

One thing about the fold-locks is that you should use cotton gloves or another form of protection as you'll need to keep the poly from springing closed when you remove or insert a negative. This usually requires two hands. Once it's in, the sleeves are quite durable.
    Last edited by clayne; 08-17-2009 at 07:53 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    35mm RF
    It's not that the pages are scratching the film. It's that they generate lots of static sliding the film in and out, and that attracts dust.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Shriver View Post
    It's not that the pages are scratching the film. It's that they generate lots of static sliding the film in and out, and that attracts dust.
    Actually, the dust and grit attracted by it is one thing, but it's still scratching the film due to abrasion. Polyethylene is not so soft that the dust scratches it before the film. The film always ends up with damage unless one is lucky.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Medium Format

Savage Glassine

Quote Originally Posted by Stock Dektol View Post
    What brands of negative storage do you guys recommend.
    Savage. I used their glassine sleeves in the 50s and use
    them today. Via Google search for, savage glassine. Dan

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin