Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,921   Posts: 1,522,075   Online: 798

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yups, sadly polyester neg pages can scratch film, and I recall actually being warned about this years ago.

I take a slightly odd approach that I picked up from my mentor; standard cooking negs go in pages, partly for filing, partly for contactabillity. And yes, I tend to use polyester for this.

Individual strips with negs that I class as important these days live loosely stacked in archival neg-paper envelopes, in archival card boxes, with regularly monitored silica gel sachets. These are negs that I would not want to take any damage, although some have had much rougher treatment. One of my favourites that I actually produced as a student spent a few months lost... in my sock drawer. And yes, I had a bedroom darkroom at college...

While time consuming, it's perfectly feasible to assemble loose strips of neg on paper under glass for contacting. Print-through neg bags just make life easier. There are frames specifically to hold a 135-36 in sixes or 120-12 in fours by the rebates on an 8x10. Obviously, the extra handling increases damage potential!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Stock Dektol View Post
    This is terrible!

I can't believe this. What brands of negative storage do you guys recommend. I actually have an unused patterson "negative file 35" system which seems to use some sort of glassine. Sort of like wax paper. Would this be adequate? Any links to resources to obtain the safer sleeves? I'll do anything to protect my images!
    The Paterson glassine sleves are fine. I used them for years till I discovered (in the UK) the Kenro sleeves, which are also fine but see-through. The ones I have used that scratch film are the Secol sleeves, which are supposedly archival and are rather expensive. However, they are quite hard compared to the rather flimsy Kenro sleeves and this may be the reason.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin