Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,924   Posts: 1,585,008   Online: 1050

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Negative files CAUSING scratches?

Hey all,

This may just be me being supercritical.

After some years of processing film and storing all of my negatives in Clearfile negative sheets i've noticed that in some cases the negatives have very small superficial scratches on the glossy side of the film. The scratches run horizontal. I'm almost convinced that the scratches are due to the negative sheets as i've never noticed this on my negatives before inserting them.

Just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience and if the scratches will affect print quality. I'm pretty sure that they won't as the haven't in the past.

Anyhow just wondering. I can't test this as I have no darkroom access until september.
    I will NEVER stop developing...

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes. Do NOT use those sleeves that allow a negative to slide against the sleeve. Buy polyester fold-lock sleeves.

The archival album sleeves that allow direct insertion of the negative are bad, bad, bad. Fortunately Printfile sells "Ultima" sleeves that allow one to slide the polyester fold-lock sleeves within the album sleeve, avoiding any negative abrasion.

Go here for actual research: http://www.wilhelm-research.com/pdf/..._HiRes_v1a.pdf
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Yes I did notice it and yes it does show up in the print. I have switched to vellum to stop that and also humidity(Taiwan).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well that blows me away! I've been noticing the same thing, although now I'm using a different brand I haven't had the problem but it never occurred to me that it might be the files! Wow!

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Strange that after so many years, they start scratching negs or that we start noticing. They either changed the files somehow or we started caring a lot more.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I noticed the same thing with Printfile sleeves. It happens on my 35mm negs, but not with 120 film. The scratches don't show on my diffuser enlarger, but they do on the condensor. Now I've switched to glassine sleeves for 35mm and have no problems.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This is terrible!

I can't believe this. What brands of negative storage do you guys recommend. I actually have an unused patterson "negative file 35" system which seems to use some sort of glassine. Sort of like wax paper. Would this be adequate? Any links to resources to obtain the safer sleeves? I'll do anything to protect my images!
    I will NEVER stop developing...

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PBrooks View Post
    Strange that after so many years, they start scratching negs or that we start noticing. They either changed the files somehow or we started caring a lot more.
    Most likely dust over the years has had a higher chance of scratching the negs upon removal and you notice it more now vs pulling a negative that had only been in there for 2 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Stock Dektol View Post
    This is terrible!

I can't believe this. What brands of negative storage do you guys recommend. I actually have an unused patterson "negative file 35" system which seems to use some sort of glassine. Sort of like wax paper. Would this be adequate? Any links to resources to obtain the safer sleeves? I'll do anything to protect my images!
    As mentioned before.

Polyester fold-lock sleeves. They're available in almost every common film and print size.

Read this: http://www.wilhelm-research.com/pdf/..._HiRes_v1a.pdf
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    clayne, in my case these were new negs, new print file sleeves. Thanks by the way for that PDF, it explained alot. I now have a name for the humidity that gets inside between the plastic and the neg, it's called ferrotyping. Even though my negs stay about 2-3 feet away from a de-humidifer that stays on 24hrs a day. I thought I knew what humidity was being from Louisiana but it has nothing on Taiwan, not at all. I have solved this problem with vellum and have promised myself to never use printfile or anything like it again.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Just couple of questions: where can I get these fold-lock sleeves? And if you do use the vellum files, how do you do contact sheets?
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin