Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,657   Posts: 1,481,410   Online: 1109

Thread: First mix

Shooter
    Medium Format

First mix

Getting ready to mix up my first batch of chemicals. I've read that you should prepare chemicals at least 24 hours before you will need them but what I haven't found is do I need to leave the whole batch sitting for 24 hours or is it ok to break it up into smaller 1 liter containers right away? I plan on diluting D76 1:1 for developing use, have heard it lasts longer diluted than stock solution. Is it ok to dilute it right away or do I need to let it sit for 24 hours before diluting? None of this info is on the web site and I don't know what the ingredients are to be able to answer this question on my own.

Thanks

Jeremiah
    looking for the battery cover for a early model Canonet QL 17, the round screw in kind.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    It lasts longer as stock solution.

You should always mix up the whole volume of the package. If you do not need the whole volume right away and don't have an "Air-Evac" accordion style bottle, one method of keeping it longer is to divide the mixed stock solution into smaller, full bottles.

It's a good idea to leave the stock solution to settle overnight before use to be sure it's completely dissolved but not absolutely necessary.

If you dilute the stock to make the working solution, you do not need to leave the diluted solution to sit overnight. The stock solution should mix quickly and completely with water.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ok, leave it stock. But can I bust the batch up into seperate bottles after mixing tonight or do I need to let it sit in the bucket over night?
    looking for the battery cover for a early model Canonet QL 17, the round screw in kind.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's perfectly fine to split the entire volume up into smaller bottles immediately after mixing. In fact, it's no good to leave it sitting out in an open bucket for any appreciable length of time. There may be a few small bits of solid material floating around. If that's the case, give the bucket a stir before decanting to make sure the solids are evenly distributed.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Perfect, I'm off to mix.

Thank you both

Shooter
    Medium Format

Air-Evac ???

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    "Air-Evac" accordion style bottle, ...
    Frowned upon by many.

A proper way to bottle developers is to use
    clear plastic or glass. Clear because the condition
    of the developer is easy to determine. Also when
    reusing clear containers they can be seen to be
    clean after washing.

Now days I break larger quantities into amber
    glass Boston Rounds; for many many years the
    standard for darkroom and other lab chemistry.

Years ago I used Schweppes Tonic water
    bottles. They are square. Dan

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I've been measuring out what powder I need to make up say 16oz of D76 for years. Never had a problem. I've even done it with Xtol, again everything has come out just fine.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Don't even mention measuring out D76! I asked that question months ago and wish I hadn't still! I don't want to open that again. My questions have been answered, lets let it go at this point before people start getting hurt feelings again.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dancqu View Post
    Frowned upon by many.

A proper way to bottle developers is to use
    clear plastic or glass. Clear because the condition
    of the developer is easy to determine. Also when
    reusing clear containers they can be seen to be
    clean after washing.

Now days I break larger quantities into amber
    glass Boston Rounds; for many many years the
    standard for darkroom and other lab chemistry.

Years ago I used Schweppes Tonic water
    bottles. They are square. Dan
    Yet none of this really matters if one uses developer at a decent pace. The accordion bottles work fine. There have been reports of cracks at the edges, but I haven't seen it yet, personally. Doesn't mean it doesn't occur, however.

D-76 is pretty rock-solid however. You will have to wait 24 hours with this particular developer as the mixing temperature is much higher than you'll develop with.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Another reason to wait 24 hours before using D-76 is the developer's supposed tendency to be more active than is considered normal for the first day. I don't know if this is true or not. That problem may have been addressed in the commercial version of the developer. This may be one of the myths of photography that was true years ago, yet persists and is no longer relevant. In any case it does no harm to wait a day before using a freshly mixed batch, so I do that.
    Frank Schifano

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin