Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,229   Posts: 1,532,856   Online: 1003

Shooter
    35mm

Film length and development

I've not used any length other than 36 exposures in 35mm since before the days of my home processing, so I'd appreciate some thoughts on the subject of development times for non-36 exposure films? Nearly all films seem to be 36 exposure these days, but I happen to have acquired some 24 exposure rolls of my favourite APX100. Now I'm wondering whether the development times (in Rodinal) would be the same as with 36 exposures? For conventional development, I use a single drum tank with 300ml; I'm assuming that with my usual 1:50 dilution, the developer is discarded before exhaustion, and that therefore the development time would be the same regardless of 24/36 exposure film length? On the other hand, I sometimes use stand development at 1:200, and I assume that here, things might be different for 24 exposures vs 36 exposures? Any comments would be greatly appreciated before I develop my first 24 roll!

Shooter
    35mm
    The times are exactly the same. I roll my own and I love 24exp rolls because they're short enough to hang over my bathtub. Just thought I'd add that.

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't change anything for 24 exposure rolls...
    I can imagine it does matter if you have highly diluted developer which is used until exhaustion, that it does matter, but for "regular" developing it shouldn't matter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The development time is the same as for 36 exposures. For the purpose of counting the number of rolls processed with the developer and hypo count it as 2/3 of a roll rather than 1 roll.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the replies........very useful!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin