Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,960   Posts: 1,523,111   Online: 964

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    No offence, Francesco (seriously)...

...but what is it they say about assumptions? Has anyone else got experience of this additive?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Assume nothing, trust no one.
    Francesco

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I dry fiber prints face up on the glass or ceramic table, sticked with paper tape. It takes some time, but i like result paper quality.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    all this worry, when Ironing takes moments, and is free (except for a bit of electricity). Plus it is archival. Good training for when you end up married to a photography diva. You can iron your own shirts.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I keep following Aggie whenever she brings up ironing. Sorry Aggie. But it should be explained that ironing relieves the tight curl relaxing the paper back pretty near its original state. After ironing, place the prints under the stack of books. I use three books of medium thickness, which isn't too many. After only a day or two, the prints are nicely flattened.

Using this method, I have come to like single weight paper better than double weight. There are other reasons too, like handling the wet paper in the darkroom. But just on the merit of flattening, single weight is easier to work with than double weight. I know this is contrary to the current mainstream thought.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Alex I don't mind you following behind. It's just such a awful view.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll investigate manufacturing a window screen to try, I live in the UK and this is not something that's readily available. (At least I've never seen them.)
    Silverprint in London sell the material for making drying screens.

www.silverprint.co.uk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankB
    No offence, Francesco (seriously)...

...but what is it they say about assumptions? Has anyone else got experience of this additive?
    Frank, I've been using a similar product just called "Print Flattener" for a couple of years now and had good results with it. I'll have to check when I get home but I believe it's made by Edwal. It doesn't leave the prints "perfectly" flat, but I just place them under a few heavy books after to completely flaten double weight paper. It does take most of the curl out of the paper with no side effects that I've seen in at least the last 2 years.
    Brian McDowell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggie
    The easiest way to flatten a print after it is dried, barring a dry mount press is to iron the thing. just use two pieces of heavy paper top and bottom to protect it, and iron away at a lower setting. It will not harm the emulsion in the least.
    You're absolutely correct Aggie. Dry mount presses are expensive. If you're just a home darkroom worker, you won't necessarily have enough need for one to justify such a purpose. Cheap print dryers, the kind with the canvas covers don't do such a good job and aren't worth the money either.

Ka

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I can't seem to find a US vendor for the Amoloco anti-curl liquid. Does anyone know of one state side?

ka

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin