Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,691   Online: 869

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I agree with everything that has been stated, but I would stress one thing. Every paper tones differently (even different grades of the same paper, if you are still using graded paper). The toning times are just a start. "Your mileage may vary." Anything stronger than 1:19 and more than 2-1/2 minutes will confer archival permanence. After that you are going for color or density and these are linked with some papers (but not all).
    You can tone a print long after it has been washed and dried. Pick a work print, tear it in 3rds and try 3, 4, and 5 minutes. If all you see is a firming of the low values and no color shift, great. I you don't like eggplant, you'll know if you have gone too far.
    One upon a time there was a paper called Kodabromide, which in Selenium turned the most awesome shade of blackish, greenish, purplish,blackish black....Ah, but that is a story for another time!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Deckled Edge
    One upon a time there was a paper called Kodabromide, which in Selenium turned the most awesome shade of blackish, greenish, purplish,blackish black....Ah, but that is a story for another time!
    I used to have a suit that was exactly that color.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Images
    Amen, Deckled Edge! Forte Polywarmtone, a wonderful paper, will turn run away with you and turn a (not very attractive) shade of pink/red. If you are careful, a little hint of this color is quite pleasing; if it gets away from you, it's pretty bizarre looking.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    another quirk to watch for, is to pull it a bit before you get to the look you want. Selenium will keep toning even after it is put into a water bath to stop it. It will be slight, but it does keep toning for a bit. so watch what your test pieces do in the toner even after it hits the water.
    Non Digital Diva

Ka

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Aggie,

What do you mean by "pull it a bit before you get to the look you want"?

Thanks.

Ka

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Since the selenium will continue to work while it just enters the water bath I believe Aggie is suggesting that you remove it from the selenium (pull it) a little bit before it reaches the full tone you are aiming for. This way it will end up at the tone you wish due to the slight toning still happening in the water bath. If you remove it from the toner when it reaches the point you want it will over-tone during the time it takes for you to remove it, place it in the water bath, and for the water bath to stop the toning.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the translation Jeremy
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Ka

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I see, thank you, that makes perfect sence.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    OK, so it's said Selenium is nasty stuff and the fumes are pretty noxious. However has anyone experienced selenium poisoning from accidentally coming into contact with the solution, and what were the effects? The first time I used selenium I was ill a few days later - I just wondered if that was the effect of the selenium or just something I ate. I have never had a problem with it since.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin