Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,499   Posts: 1,571,568   Online: 1146

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapper
    OK, so it's said Selenium is nasty stuff and the fumes are pretty noxious. However has anyone experienced selenium poisoning from accidentally coming into contact with the solution, and what were the effects? The first time I used selenium I was ill a few days later - I just wondered if that was the effect of the selenium or just something I ate. I have never had a problem with it since.
    I have selenium toned prints for over twenty years. I never wear gloves and I don't wear any type of respirator. The fumes seem to be ammonia and not terribly strong in my opinion.

I am not suggesting that anyone do what I do. I am just relating my experience.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The only problems i have had is having 3 or 4 trays of selenium sitting around with poor ventilation. and then it was a head ache.

Basically the warnning is just that, be smart.
    We also use gloves, tho an occasionally splash is nothing to worry about. THere is selenium in many of the products we use everyday.

One area that i am adamant about is not allowing expected women take my toning class. All of these chemicals are so toxic that I don't want anyone taking a chance. Of course, when I taught a color printing class i had the same rule. t his is problem over kill, but in the case of unborn children ; why take a chance.

I have been doing darkroom work for over 50 years and the only side effect has been the loss of figure prints as i only use gloves for toners and PMK.

Ka

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Take a look at these links:

http://www.cc.nih.gov/ccc/supplements/selen.html

http://www.webelements.com/webelemen...xt/Se/key.html

What you should remember when handling Selenium, is that it is a non-soluble, rare Earth mineral. It should be handled only with protection: wear gloves, protective eye gear, and in a well-ventilated area.

Toxicity: At high doses (> 900 µg/day), selenium produces a toxic syndrome consisting of dermatitis, loose hair, diseased nails, and peripheral neuropathy associated with plasma levels > 100 µg/dL (> 12.7 µmol/L).

I hope this helps.

ka

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Simple rules for handling selenium or any other photo chemical is to prevent skin contact avoid fumes as much as possible and clean all surfaces, trays etc right after use. Selenium is pretty safe in solution. The danger is leaving spills to dry and then inhaling the dust particles.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selenium

This web site is easier to understand. Other than that, just be cautious and use common sense. Jim has it right.
    Non Digital Diva

Not wanting to sound like a broken record, broken record, broken record, but cover the trays with plexiglas and there are virtually no fumes, no fumes, no fumes.

Also something to keep in mind. If you pull the print before the selenium has completely done it's dance, the print is technically not completely archival. If you just slip it in the soup for a slight color shift, you have a partially toned print but not necessarily an archival print.

Michael McBlane

Shooter
    Large Format
    Michael,

I understand your statement about the archivalness (is that a word?) of a print...but the way that I feel about it...Who the hell really cares? As long as it looks good enough for someone to give me some money. By the time that the print "goes south" I will have gone "down".

If too many prints are made archival there will be no depletion of work already done and let's face it there will be a saturation point. After all once you have the walls of your home, garage, gardeners shack, and bathroom covered with the stuff what the heck are you going to do with it? My cat does not have a particular affinity for the prints...she just yawns when I show her my latest and greatest. A thought.

Later,
    The Schmuck

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Well, I for one care. When some one pays me for a print and i sell it as being archival I am ethically bound to be sure that I have followed specific standards. In the grand scheme of printing these steps are minimal ; or perhaps because i have been doing my printing in this manner it is natural and normal without undue stress or issues.

What others do, is their business

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ann
    Well, I for one care. When some one pays me for a print and i sell it as being archival I am ethically bound to be sure that I have followed specific standards. In the grand scheme of printing these steps are minimal ; or perhaps because i have been doing my printing in this manner it is natural and normal without undue stress or issues.

What others do, is their business
    Ann,

It is unfortunate that on the internet we can not fully observe the personalities of the participants. I seem to have struck a nerve with my attempt at humor. I assure you that this was meant in a light way and is not indicative of my processing. Perhaps over time you will find that I make serious attempts at not being to darned serious.

Sincerely,
    Donald Miller

Donald said,

I understand your statement about the archivalness (is that a word?) of a print...but the way that I feel about it...Who the hell really cares? As long as it looks good enough for someone to give me some money. By the time that the print "goes south" I will have gone "down".
    Funny, that's exactly the same philosophy that Kodak had with color prints in the 1980s and even probably today. If it lasts 'til it gets out the door. Perfect. If you want to show it to anyone in the future, put the damn thing in the freezer, and whenever company comes over simply thaw it out.

Donald said

If too many prints are made archival there will be no depletion of work already done and let's face it there will be a saturation point.
    Oh I get it, you're just trying to drive up the price of you work through attrition.

Donald said,

My cat does not have a particular affinity for the prints...she just yawns when I show her my latest and greatest
    Donald try not feeding the little bugger for a few days and see if that improves his/her attutude a little.

Michael

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin