Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,807   Posts: 1,581,446   Online: 1130

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I dunno Aggie, but I'm real glad this got rolling 'cause it turns out that the The Jack's Photo Chemistry site from the link that Tom posted has a wealth of precisely the information I was after with my question: namely, various developer ingredients and thier comparative properties.

Thanks Tom!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Glad I could help, mobtown!
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have been told (but never tested to prove it) that diluted D-76 will give more shadow detail than a straight shot, since the chemistry working on the highlights would get spent faster than the chemistry along the shadow (less silver to react). Of course, this would only be true until the film is agitated. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge as it relates to this?

And add another question, how hard is it to mix the stuff (i've been using the college's stuff up to now)? Does anyone have any preference of kodak's stuff vs. photogs formulary's? what about the 2 bath version?

sorry if this is going on a tangent

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "how hard is it to mix the stuff"

It's easy to mix. Just four ingredients:
    Metol
    Sodium sulfite
    Hydroquinone
    Borax

D76H works the same as far as I can tell and you just leave out the Hydroquinone and adjust the Metol and Borax. Thing is, unless you want to buy Sodium sulfite in large quantities (20-50 lbs.) it is about as cheap to buy the Kodak stuff. It takes nearly a pound of SS per gallon of D76 and SS costs about $5.00 lb in smaller quantities. If you want the formula, try the Unblinking Eye site.

Dean
    [COLOR=Sienna][FONT=Arial]Some days are diamonds. Some days a tree crashes through your roof.[/FONT][/COLOR]

I have read an article that suggested a finer grain for T Max when developed in perceptol. Does anybody agree with this , and if so, i need some times to develop T-Max 100, 400, 3200.
    thank you.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    For me, the definitive work on developer components and developer operation is in a book called "The film developers Cookbook" Anchell - i always keep it at arms length. It explains all the different kinds of chemistries, what they do and why and gives formulas for practically anything. As good as the info is from this group - you can't do much better than that book to build a foundation of knowledge on which to add the subtleties gained here. PMK is a great developer - I have used it for years - I wouldn't recommend it for cute little film or MF that will get enlarged past 11x14" I have just begun to use Pyrocat HD = the grain is much smaller and there is less general stain. It is still not Microdol for the small formats. I have settled on 4 developers for my use:

120 and LF get Pyrocat HD and get used based on what I will print on and how much contrast expansion or contraction I need.

35mm and 120 that will get enlarged past 8x10 I use Microdol

Special films or anything push processed go into D76

For unknown exposure situations - i.e. antique cameras and guessing about odd varied lighting go into a split D23 soup that will just about make anything look good.

80% is pyro
    My photos are always without all that distracting color ...

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fhovie
    ... i always keep it at arms length. ...
    Had your eyesight checked lately? That sure sounds like presbyopia to me
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    That too Ole!

Presbyopia.... is that a new religion?
    Do not question what you have not done, question what you will not try.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by happysnapper
    Presbyopia.... is that a new religion?

A visual condition which becomes apparent especially in middle age and in which loss of elasticity of the lens of the eye causes defective accommodation and inability to focus sharply for near vision. Most common in photographers who mix their own chemistry after lugging 47lbs of camera around.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin