Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,920   Posts: 1,522,059   Online: 905

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Are there any depreciable differences in using stock solution of d76 vs. diluted 1:1? How would it affect grain, sharpness, and shadow detail; which would give the best in these aspects?

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

~edye
    One should really use the camera, as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind.-Dorothea Lange

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I am bumping this post up because it seems to have gotten passed up, and I have wondered about this myself.

Also, expanding on the question, since I'm here(I hope you don't mind me adding onto your post :whistle: )...

...In addition to D-76 dilutions, what other developer dilutions or ingredients are associated with effects such as acu-whatsit, sharpness, grain, tonality, etc? For example, all the developers in my camera store(I looked at D-76, DK-50, Acufine, FG-7, HC-110, Perceptol, Sprint, Lauder, Rodinal and others) list some form of (I'm going from memory here so give me a break on the spelling) hydroquinone and sodium sulfate. Can these products really be that much different with the same 2 basic ingredients?, Or is it the formula and other additives that make the difference(s)? Or is dilution mostly the factor. Can anyone give some info on what to expect from some of the commercially available developers and dilutions thereof? Or what ingredients to look for for a specific result?

Matt

Shooter
    35mm
    mobtown_4x5

Take a look at this article:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ic-bullet.html

Jorge O
    Curitiba - nice place to live, if you don't care about the weather...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    OK, point taken- that was a lot of questions there (some must have answers though)..

-Anyway i just popped on because this post was sliding down the page and no one had answered the poster's original question about D-76...

...anyone...

.....Bueller...

.......Bueller........

.......... :Zzz: ...........

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    bigger grain in straight

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is sulfite not sulfate - big difference, chemically. Only a subgroup of the developers listed use hydroquinone.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by e_joyner
    Are there any depreciable differences in using stock solution of d76 vs. diluted 1:1? How would it affect grain, sharpness, and shadow detail; which would give the best in these aspects?

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

~edye
    You should see the following difference with D76 1:1 as compared to D76 straight.

1. Larger grain.

2. More sharpness.

3. Longer developing times.

Assuming you develop to the same CI there should be no difference in shadow detail.

Sandy King

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Aggie: Undiluted D-76 contains a high concentration of sodium sulfite which is a silver solvent. Thus film developed in undiluted D-76 should show slightly finer grain. Freshly mixed D-76 shows a higher level of activity than aged D-76.

"D-76 may be used undiluted, but there is no advantage in doing so. The negatives, while slightly finer grained, do not exhibit the same degree of sharpness or tonal scale."

See: http://www.jackspcs.com/d76.htm
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Thank you Matt, for keeping this 'alive', and to all for the info. I trolled through Kodak's tech pubs, and found the info that 1:1 will increase sharpness and grain.

This is the kind of info, as a 'newbie' struggling to understand, is really helpful.

~edye
    One should really use the camera, as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind.-Dorothea Lange

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I knew if I was right no one would comment. But if I am wrong, there are many here that hurry to point it out fast. It at least got the thread answered. Viking logic or is it a mothers logic when working with her kids?
    Non Digital Diva

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin