Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,759   Posts: 1,516,008   Online: 916

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: XTOL dilutions

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    I feel left out!

I use XTOL straight.

Steve
    You're not alone, brother. I, too, am an undilutedxtol-holic.
    Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I use it 1+3 because I like the way it looks. I use a two reel tank for one roll, 4 oz XTOL and 12 oz water.
    Kodachrome
    They give us those nice bright colors
    They give us the greens of summers
    Makes you think all the world's a sunny day, oh yeah.
    -Paul Simon

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    How do different dilutions affect the neg? I use xtol 1+2 with acros - love it. Curious what straight or even 1+1 or 1+3 would do, if anything?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ndlshootsfilm View Post
    How do different dilutions affect the neg? I use xtol 1+2 with acros - love it. Curious what straight or even 1+1 or 1+3 would do, if anything?
    Straight - I get consistent good results with repeated usage. I have never had a problem because I follow the instructions. Why dilute and use the developer as a one shot when straight usage works well and does not waste the chemical or money?

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    Cheers guys! You have all been very helpful!

I scan all of my film so I guess 1+1 (!) will be best for that as I will have lower contrast than with the more diluted solutions, but will only use half the amount of developer compared to using the stock solution.

I used the stock solution for my first test and got this with TMX:

and this with Fomapan 200 @ 200:

I have experimented with several developers and films, but would like to concentrate on only using a few and learning to use them well. I think XTOL will be one of the few developers I'll keep using. The others I will keep using are HC-110 (for simplicity, and because I have a nearly full bottle) and maybe T-Max, but I'm unsure about the T-Max, as XTOL seems to be as good, but slightly more of a hassle to prepare.

For film I think I'll stick to TMX, Y, Z, Tri-X, Fomapan 100 (cheap!), the odd slow film like Efke KB 25 and some colour neg and slide film when I need colour.

I have got FP4+ in my camera now and a roll of Acros 100 that's waiting to be shot, so if I like them I might add one or both of them to my list. Does my plan sound reasonable?

Regards

Francis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by :Francis: View Post
    I have experimented with several developers and films, but would like to concentrate on only using a few and learning to use them well. I think XTOL will be one of the few developers I'll keep using. The others I will keep using are HC-110 (for simplicity, and because I have a nearly full bottle) and maybe T-Max, but I'm unsure about the T-Max, as XTOL seems to be as good, but slightly more of a hassle to prepare.

For film I think I'll stick to TMX, Y, Z, Tri-X, Fomapan 100 (cheap!), the odd slow film like Efke KB 25 and some colour neg and slide film when I need colour.

I have got FP4+ in my camera now and a roll of Acros 100 that's waiting to be shot, so if I like them I might add one or both of them to my list. Does my plan sound reasonable?
    Hi Francis - that sounds like a lot of different films to keep track of - with that many options, I'd fear that learning effects would be difficult to attain. Why not settle for just one slow film, one medium fast, one really fast? Learn those by heart, then move on (if you want to, that is).
    S°ren

"We are much more likely to act our way into a new way of thinking than think our way into a new way of acting." - R. Pascale

Shooter
    35mm
    Photographic Rules of Thumb

#868: When getting a dog always get a black one.

Denis K

Shooter
    35mm
    For pushing film, can I use dilutions like 1+1, or should I use the stock solution for pushing?

I sometimes shoot TMZ @ 3200 and 6400.

Francis

Shooter
    35mm
    The effective speed gained by Xtol increases slightly as the developer is diluted. Therefore, it should be a better choice. In any case, Kodak provides excellent documentation. All the push processing information you'd like to have and more.
    Last edited by Anon Ymous; 08-28-2009 at 02:36 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Straight - I get consistent good results with repeated usage. I have never had a problem because I follow the instructions. Why dilute and use the developer as a one shot when straight usage works well and does not waste the chemical or money?

Steve
    Instructions? Yes, I use those when I dissolve powder to make stock solution.

Everything else I do is based on testing. I'll add development time to increase the tonal range of flat subjects and decrease to tame high contrast. And that's easier to control when my development times are a bit longer.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin