Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,934   Posts: 1,557,028   Online: 1241

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: XTOL dilutions

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Straight - I get consistent good results with repeated usage. I have never had a problem because I follow the instructions. Why dilute and use the developer as a one shot when straight usage works well and does not waste the chemical or money?

Steve
    You gotta be kidding me. How does 1+0 waste less solution than 1+1? You trade grain for acutance in the end (less dissolve/re-plate in 1+0). The results are nearly the same.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another vote for the 1+1 dilution.
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    You gotta be kidding me. How does 1+0 waste less solution than 1+1? You trade grain for acutance in the end (less dissolve/re-plate in 1+0). The results are nearly the same.
    I am not sure what he was saying, but I am guessing that he replenishes. I use 75ml per roll and really love the results with a replenished Xtol system. That is somewhat less than I would be using with 1+1.

How do different dilutions affect the neg? I use xtol 1+2 with acros - love it. Curious what straight or even 1+1 or 1+3 would do, if anything?
    Diluting a developer such as Xtol, has a slight effect on the characteristics of the film. I have noticed that with HP5+ and TMY, there is slightly more separation in the low density areas of the negative than if you developed Xtol straight. This is more pronounced the more you dilute the developer. Xtol diluted up to 1+3 is the threshold for me. I tested it once at 1+5, and was very disappointed with the results...and the excruciatingly long development time. I should add that I develop in BTZS tubes.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Also, due to interaction with sulfite and the dissolve->re-plate effect, you will gain "sharpness" at higher dilutions. Of course, grain goes up as well. The thing is that at 1+1, it's almost impossible to detect a difference in grain, especially with XTOL. There's also more leeway with longer times associated with higher dilutions.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks again guys!

Sounds like I'm going to use 1+1 or try replenishing the developer. I think I'll start off with 1+1 and take it from there.

Today I'll be developing FP4+ @ 125 and Efke KB 25 @ 25.

Is there anything I need to be aware of with these films, or can I find the times in the massive dev chart and use my usual procedure (continuous agitation the first 30s and two inversions every 30s)?

Will post some shots when I get the negs scanned .

Francis

Shooter
    35mm
    Sorry for being slow, but here are three pics taken with Efke KB 25 @ 25.

Fomadon Excel (XTOL) 1+1 for 6mins @ 20*C.

-

Broken promises:

Urban karst:

Beetle:

I used my F5 for all of them.

Regards

Francis

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Some inofficial informations about xtol:
    http://www.joerg-bergs.de/40.html?&L=1

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin